Chapter Four : The Body

TW!! DARK THOUGHTS, PANIC ATTACK, AND MENTIONS OF ABUSE

—————

You wake up with a start at the feeling of your bed weigh down. You look over, still very groggy from just waking up. You see your mother sitting next to you, a concerned look on her face. Dustin was still asleep on his sleeping bag he had found, snoring softly.

"Hey, honey bun... I was wondering if you wanted to stay home from school today? I know yesterday was very hard for you... Dustin as well. I need to get to work right now, but I promise we can do something fun once I get home?" She says, stoking your face gently.

"Sounds good... Hey, mom?" You call before she can get up to leave. "Yes sweetness?"

"I love you..." You say softly. She smiles at you, leaning over to plant a kiss on your forehead. "I love you too, honey bun, now get some sleep." With that, she left your room, closing your door softly behind her.

You roll over, cuddling deeply into your soft bed sheets, holding your bear beanie baby close to your chest. You softly let out a soft sob, muffled by your blankets and hand covering your mouth.

Everything finally hit you. Barb, one of your best friends in the whole world, was missing. Will, sweet baby Will, had just been pronounced dead, and you had witnessed his body being dragged out of the quarry. All of this happening over the span of 24 hours.

Your mind played the people pulling Will out of the water on loop. It skipped from that, to your fight with Barb, and then finally to a scene you had hoped to forget. You had tried so hard to forget. Your mother laying, dead, at your fathers hands. You were just standing there. You didn't even try to help. Hell, you weren't even the one to call the police. You just stood there like a coward. Like the coward you always were. Running away from your problems. Hiding and cowering from them.

You let out many broken sobs, all your past scars reopening and then being drenched in salt.

You are pathetic. You can not seem to save even a single life. You are nothing. The world would be so better if you weren't even born-

"Y/n?"

You watch little you get beat relentlessly by the one you were supposed to call 'father', watching as your mom stepped in, taking a violent punch to the head for you. You being too stunned to do anything. Him threatening you that he would kill your mother if you told anyone about the things he did to you. Him threatening your mother that he would leave her, leaving her without any money. That no one would even believe you if you told anybody. Then going into a time of peace, thinking that maybe he wasn't that bad? That he just did those things because he didn't mean to. That he was a good guy on the inside, that you were being overdramatic. But then going back full circle to stage one, repeating that sequence on loop.

You can't breathe. The waves of the memories were crushing you. You were drowning. You can't breathe, you can't breathe, you can't breathe! You were blacking out, stuck in your own mind, there was no escape to this endless cycle of pain-

"Y/N!!! Oh God, oh God, oh God, oh God, hey hey it's gonna be okay, just breathe with me." You nod, gasping for air, finally being pulled somewhat out of your thoughts by your brother wrapping his arm around you.

You listen to the sound of Dustin's heart beat, willing yours to match the pace of his. Matching his calm breaths. It took quite a few tries though, as you were taking short and shallow breaths at first, like a child.

When your breathing had returned to its normal pace, the two of you sat in a comfortable silence.

"Do... Do you want to talk about it?" Dustin asks finally, seeing that you were finally starting to calm down from your episode.