Chapter Six - The Spy

Dustin explained the whole situation to Steve. You sat quietly in the back, a bit better than you were when you first got into the red car, but still a little out of it. Steve had put on Queen to calm you down, knowing it was one of your favorite bands. The sound of 'Hammer to Fall' was currently playing softly over the speakers. He still didn't know exactly why you were so distraught, but he let Dustin finish his story before saying anything about it.

"Wait a sec. How big?" He questions, looking over to your brother. "First, he was like that," he says, using his fingers as a reference. "Now, he's like that." Dustin states, pretending he was holding the giant monster in his arms to demonstrate just how big he had gotten.

"I swear to God, man. It's just some little lizard, okay?" You flinch at his words, wishing that was the case. "It's not a lizard." Dustin retorts. "How do you know??" Steve responds, eyes flashing from the road to him.

"How do I know he's not a lizard??!"

"Yes! How do you know he's not a lizard?!"

"Because he ate my cat." You say finally, breaking up the fight in an instant. Your words were quiet and a bit broken, but didn't go unheard by the two. Steve looks at you through the rearview mirror, a concerned look on his face.

"Oh." Is all he says. "Yeah." You respond, turning your head towards the window again, watching the familiar houses go by in flashes. The air was tense again, no one saying a word until you all got back to the house. Your mom still wasn't back yet, which somehow made you even more guilty for not telling her what really happened.

You get out of the car, walking to the back of Steve's car to get the bat. But, as soon as you lift the trunk and put a hand on it, a firm hand stops you.

"Hey, don't."

"Stop. I'm going to kill him. Not you." You say, pulling the weapon out and putting it over your shoulder before Steve snatched it out of your hand.

"No. I need you to be safe. I'm going to check things out, stay here." He says, going to follow Dustin to the cellar before you feel a wet tear trailing down the side of your cheek.

"Oh, God. Don't cry. It'll be alright." He says, getting down to your level before tilting your chin up to look at him. "Look at me and listen. I'm going to take care of this." You freeze up at his words and gesture. You look into those gorgeous intense brown eyes of his, and feel your face heat up slightly. Your heart beat gets slightly faster at the proximity, the two of you practically chest to chest before-

"Steve! You killing this bastard or what!" Dustin calls from around the corner. He immediately let's go of your chin, and puts the bat over his shoulder. "Be patient! Jesus, dude." He says, annoyed that your brother interrupted the moment.

He heads off to the cellar, you following slightly behind, still a bit flustered but recovering. You stop by the shed as you pass it, grabbing Dustin's hockey stick from it before taking off to catch up with the two.

You can see Steve banging on the cellar door hard with the bat. But no response. "All right, listen, kid. I swear to God if this is some Halloween prank," he says, flashing his flash light in your brothers face. "You're dead. All right?"

"It's not." Steve gives him a challenging eye. "It's not a prank! Get it out of my face." You walk up to Steve, pushing the flashlight away from your brother as you walk up to the cellar door.

You unlock the door before opening it slowly to reveal a dark stairway only going down. "He must be further down there." Dustin states, backing up slowly from the entrance. "I'll stay up here in case... He try's to escape." He says, to which you and Steve look at him ludicrously. You sigh, shaking your head before Steve stops you with a hand.