The Ambush: Part Two

Bleary-eyed, Anya sat up from her pretend boyfriend's side. Her short hair was wild and her eyes felt puffy. Stiff from sleeping on the ground, she stood and stretched. Describing what she had done throughout the night as sleeping was generous. Her nerves at what would come in the morning had kept her up throughout most of the night, as did the thought of sleeping cuddled up next to a monster.

Pulling out a compact mirror that Liza had given her, Anya did her best to smooth down her hair, fix her magical makeup, and look as good as possible to keep Gabe distracted. She knew she needed to lead him to the horses. To the place where she knew that the two master Journeymen would be waiting.

She lingered near where Gabe slept, hoping to stay close to him. Most of the men and goblins seemed indifferent to her presence. Her close proximity to the disgusting, wicked looking goblins was unsettling but they mostly ignored her as they grunted to one another in their primitive language. She saw that several could speak English as they received their orders for packing up the camp from the only man who was awake.

Eric had risen as early as she had, much to the her dismay. Of all the people to interact with, Eric was the last one she wanted to be around. Gabe was a monster but at least he seemed to care about her. The crooked-nosed mercenary looked like he wanted to kill her the second he got the chance. He apparently did not take kindly to having his nose broken and being shot in the arm. Gabe had evidently healed the gunshot wound, though, as his arm seemed to be uninjured.

"Good morning, Annie," he said cruelly as he approached where she sat near the fire.

Anya smiled and nodded politely, knowing that the timid, love-entranced girl she was pretending to be would never correct a man who so desperately wished to be intimidating. She refused to admit to herself that he was a frightening individual and instead convinced herself that he was just some common bully and not a highly trained and experienced mercenary.

"It's not Annie is it?" Eric asked, foul mood seeping into every word he uttered.

"No, it's Anya," the falsely fearful girl said.

"I'm sorry, I must have gotten it mixed up. When you lied to me, back before you head butted me in the nose, you said your name was Annie. Excuse my confusion," he mockingly apologized.

"Please forgive me for that," she said meekly. "I was caught up in something and didn't realize how wrong I was."

"Whatever. The only reason you're here is because the wizard wants you. I'd rather you be dead with the rest of those Journeyman vermin," he spat.

"But I want her here, so back off," Gabe announced as he walked over and sat next to Anya.

Eric rolled his eyes and walked away from the fire to find some hapless goblin to bother. The young wizard placed his arm around Anya's shoulders and squeezed. Playing the part, the apprentice Journeyman looked up at him and kissed him warmly on his lips.

"Will you be ready to ride today? I know you spent a lot of time searching for us yesterday," Gabe said, stroking her hair gently as she leaned into him.

"I-I think so," she said, batting her eyes. "But, I think there is a problem with my horse. Maybe you could fix it, magic man?"

She looked up at him with a disgusting innocence and helplessness. This part she was playing would be worth it in a few minutes but for the moment, she just felt gross.

"Of course I can, I am one of the greatest wizards in the world after all. Maybe even the best," the murderer boasted with a wink.

He stood and offered his entranced beloved a hand and led her to the area where the horses waited. The saddles had been left on in case a hasty escape was required. As they entered the clearing, Anya examined her horse.

The unique weapon that the undercover apprentice had been given to deal with goblins was in a scabbard that was fastened to the saddle. A bolt action rifle, the Russian Mosin Nagant, had been sawn down into a short length. The stock was reduced to a nub just big enough for a large man's hand and the barrel had been chopped to just a few inches long. The armorer had called it an Obrez.

"I had a Mosin with a cracked stock and, after a little too much vodka one night, I took a hacksaw to it. Now I have the perfect close quarters goblin gun. It'll be a loud shot with a bright flash which should disorient the bad guys too. Don't bother trying to aim it, there aren't even sights. Just point it when they get close enough and hold on," he had proudly explained as he introduced Anya to the weapon.

Her plan was to sprint to the weapon as Jack shot and then try to mount the horse, wanting to be able to stop any goblin who might try to prevent her escape. She wanted to stay and fight but Evan had convinced her to flee. As she was trying to look harmless, it made little sense for her to come in armed to the teeth. Her Obrez might be a useful weapon at close quarters but it only held five shots and would be difficult to reload under pressure. It was also horribly inaccurate at any real distance and was more of a last ditch weapon. Her pistol would be useful but mostly only against the more fragile humans who also had pistols of their own. The drills Evan had hastily ran her through before their departure would help her in a gunfight, but the men who had been revealed to be mercenaries were likely more skilled.

As they reached the clearing, Anya positioned herself where she wanted to be and stopped their forward progress. She saw a long open path that would make the perfect shooting lane for the waiting snipers. She was sure that they were now watching her.

She stopped Gabe and faced him, making sure he was directly inline with the shooting lane.

"Gabe, I wanted to thank you," she began her stalling lie.

"For what?" he asked, standing with his left side perfectly exposed to the hunters who watched.

Discretely extending her arm behind her leg to hide the signal when she made it, she continued her lie, "For saving me. And bringing me here. For rescuing me from the Journeymen."

Gabe's blue eyes instantly became lit with passion. "Of course. You are too good for those monsters," he said, raising his hands animatedly.

Eric entered the clearing behind them, "I don't know about that. She's seems pretty terrible to me."

Gabe rolled his eyes, "Shut up, Eric. Go get your men ready."

Anya extended her forefinger and middle finger, tensing her body to be ready to run. She hoped that after Gabe went down that Jack would shoot Eric next.

Lifting his left arm to point in the figurative direction that was ironically directly at the sniper who was about to shoot, "Those animals are the reason my whole family is dead. They deserved to d-."

His revelation was interrupted by a crack. Anya felt drops of something warm and wet spatter across her face.

Then, chaos.