Survivors

Chuck sighed in relief, "I didn't expect any of them to make it. The way the rest of the village looked, it didn't look like the goblins were taking any prisoners."

Jack looked at Thompson and nodded, "Well take us to them. I have a few questions, do you think any of them will be able to?"

Thompson turned and took off at a jog with the two Journeymen following, "I think so. Heath is with them. I think he's the only person in the watch that survived the battle. He got his family and a few other people out. We found them because they were hiding out in Sam's favorite hunting spot. His son and youngest daughter led them there. As far as I've seen it's only Heath, his wife, and a few kids."

Jack solemnly nodded his head to himself as he jogged down the sole street of the village.

As they jogged to the opening in the fence that the survivors escaped through, Jack was able to take in the emotional toll of the nearly complete destruction of the village. There was not a single surviving watchman who was not mourning the loss of loved ones.

Jack had hope that some of the children had at least escaped but it appeared as though there had been no adult or older teenager that survived the attack. They either died trying to fight back against the goblin invaders or were cut down running away. It seemed as though some may have been burned out of their homes as there were smoldering corpses on the ground outside of some of the burned out houses. The trio ran into the woods that surrounded the village, following an old game trail.

Thompson led the two men to a clearing where Jack heard the sound of weeping. He saw Sam holding a young boy who was probably only ten years old and a little girl who was likely only five years old. Both were wrapped in their father's embrace and aside from appearing to be in desperate need of a hot meal and a bath, were in good health. The three held each other, crying tears of joy over their reunion but also of sorrow over the loss of their mother and sisters.

There were also a man and woman, who Jack assumed to be Heath and his wife. They were accompanied by six other children, two who appeared to belong to Heath and his wife. Their two children were a toddler who was no older than two and an infant who appeared to be just a few months old. Jack guessed that the remaining four children were anywhere between ten and the youngest who appeared to be around four years old.

Orphans, Jack thought. Since the Separation, Jack had seen many children be made orphans. If they did not find families to take them in, they would likely die or find themselves working as slaves, an extremely unfortunate product of a world with no stable forms of government beyond the level of a town.

Thompson led Jack to Heath and his wife, who was introduced as Dianne. They were both young, probably around Thompson's age. Despite being a young man, Heath was a large, powerful individual. He stood as tall as Jack and was nearly twice as wide. He was a strong fighter but had been left behind due to his young age and because his large size did not serve him well on long marches or when trying to move discretely. He held a pump action twelve gauge shotgun with a nearly empty shell bandolier across his body. The bandolier only held around ten remaining shells. Heath had clearly used his weapon in the attack and in his subsequent escape.

"I couldn't believe it, sir," Heath began as he addressed Jack. Chuck took to passing out field rations and checking on the well-being of the children. "There had to be at least a hundred of the goblins. Probably more. They were pushing through the gate before we even knew they were attacking. They must have taken out the guard at the watch post because we had no warning. We held them for as long as we could but you know how tough goblins are. I've never seen them so well organized. They attacked in the night and swarmed the village. I didn't want to run but Jim told me to get as many people out as I could. I grabbed Dianne and my kids and brought as many others with me as I could. Sam's son led us here. We've been hiding out in Sam's favorite deer blind. I'm sorry I couldn't save more," Heath's voice shook and tears began to well in his eyes.

Dianne took Heath's hand and leaned on his powerful shoulder, comforting him. She then looked at Jack. Her eyes were red and filled with tears as well. Jack didn't know Dianne but he could tell she was a capable woman. She had an old 1911 style pistol in a holster on her wide hips. She wasn't as tall or as wide as her husband but she still stood at nearly six feet tall and had the build of a rugby player.

In a steady voice she said to Jack, "There were men too. I only saw maybe five but they seemed to be in charge. They had pistols on their hips but only used their bows. Some of them looked like those modern hunting bows and they were deadly accurate. They were the ones who started lighting torches for the goblins to burn people in their homes."

Jack shook his head in burdened disbelief. He had never witnessed men and goblins working together. Goblins hated anything that wasn't a goblin and they didn't get along with other goblins all that well either. He was even more shocked that these men had somehow been able to organize and lead these monsters. Perhaps the men were the real monsters. As Jack stood in deep contemplation at the significance of this possible partnership, two of the three remaining watchmen had walked into the clearing.

One of the men led along a woman who was covered in foul smelling brown liquid. The man and woman exclaimed in joy at the sight of the four children. Despite being covered in what was obviously human waste, the man, woman and children met in an embrace. The man explained that his wife had been able to send her children with Heath and provided a distraction before hiding out in the bottom portion of the outhouse behind their burned home.

At least one family had been reunited. Jack asked the other watchman where their final comrade was. The man, a young man in his mid twenties who spoke with a thick Hispanic accent, said that their last comrade found his mangled family and, overwhelmed with grief, ended his pain using his rifle and a single bullet.

Chuck rejoined Jack now that the remaining children had been reunited with their parents. "Man, can you believe this? I heard you talking to those two. Men and goblins? We have to get to the Council. I'm afraid something much bigger than goblin raids are going on."

Jack nodded, "We need to get these people to our village. Then we'll resupply and get to the Meeting House."

Chuck nodded, "I'm still going to take a shower at your house. I think I really need it."

Jack smirked, "I think our wives won't mind if we at least stay the night before we head out."