Revelations

Walking in through the back door, Jack strode confidently into the well decorated living room area. He was met by Evan who stood at the front of the room. On the couch sat Anya and Liza. In an armchair was the leader of the Dumas Guard, Colonel Villa. Colonel Villa rose to shake Jack's hand before sitting, Anya and Liza both smiled nervous, gentle smiles at the previously furious man.

Evan smiled and nodded at Jack, "Alright, so now we can begin. All of you are here because you are needed in taking down this threat. It goes beyond Gabe I'm afraid. Based off of everything you've told me, I believe he's in league with the men and goblins who destroyed Anya's village. He was likely sent to infiltrate your group after the night you were ambushed on the road."

Nodding and leaning against the wall next to Colonel Villa's seat, the Jack agreed, "You're right. I should have seen it, it was too convenient that we found such a powerful wizard who was willing to travel with us. I thought it was just because he was so smitten by Anya. I'll admit, I started to like him."

Jack had found a small amount of peace in the knowledge that he would be getting his revenge. He felt as though his focus had returned, his one sided conversation with George the horse providing the needed clarity. There were plenty of things to worry about later but right now, the problem in front of him was planning a mission. And the gifted sniper knew that his skills would likely be a key part of Evan's plan. For now, he knew providing whatever intelligence he could on their target would be vital.

"Jack, I don't think that there was anything you could have done. I need to be honest with you all. The message 'Arise' meant something. Gabe and these other humans that are working with the goblins are part of something big. And very old. I was a fool to think they were gone. Now they're back. And they need to be stopped," Evan declared, continuing his briefing.

Colonel Villa spoke up now, "Well, we always suspected that the monsters all were from a long time ago. They fit way too well with all of the old stories that we took for fairy tales. But what is this old group? And how do you know about them?"

Evan bowed his head for a moment and sighed. He looked back up and spoke deliberately, "What I'm about to tell all of you was once something that could only be known by those with the highest clearance levels. Most of the world's generals had no idea about this. Magic never left. It was always here. Always being used in the shadows. It was weaker than it is now but it was still here. The group that Gabe and these other people are part of wanted magic to come back, stronger than ever. And they were willing to orchestrate the end of the world to make that happen."

Colonel Villa shook his head, "There's no way. How could we have never heard about it? No secret that big could be kept. And are you insinuating that this group did what I think you're saying? That they caused the Separation?"

"Colonel, if someone told you that there was a shadow organization of magic users trying to use magic to control the world, would you have believed them? And if I had told you that this group caused the Separation, would you have believed me when I met you four years ago?" Evan answered with questions of his own.

The colonel shook his head again, no longer in disbelief, "I would not have believed them. Or you. I'd probably have called you crazy. But you never told us how you know."

Evan shuffled awkwardly, shifting his weight from heel to heel, searching for the correct answer. "Well, I know because I was part of the special unit that fought against them. I actually commanded it. And we used magic."

Jack saw Anya nearly leap out of her seat on the couch, standing up and pacing the floor of the room. "You told me that you and my dad served together in a special unit! Was he in that special unit? Did he use magic before the Separation?"