Chapter 20

Ishita's POV:

"You're quite daring that you framed my brother putting him in jail..." Aadesh mocked. I have seen him on television but never had a chance to meet him in person, I didn't even wish to. He was handsome and classy not like other ministers with pan marks, a huge belly, and a wrinkled face. Sitting in front of him I crossed my leg, "What can I say? I'm flattered...". He examined me then put out his demand, "Take the blame on you and clear Armaan's name or I would do it gracefully...". It made me chuckle, "If you could do that then go ahead and why haven't you done it yet... oh lemme guess you don't want your brother's fame to be tainted as people would get to know that your family used its resources to come up clean."

Aadesh's lips curved in a wicked smile, "You know right... it wouldn't be hard to make you disappear leaving no trances. I will bury the case and make it look like your fault and additionally your disappearance would be a justification for it." I faked a gasp, "Oh my god I'm so scared. You're going to kill me..." Mom holds her head, "Ishita... leave it now... just enough of this. It's not good what you did and to Armaan, the man you're going to marry." I narrowed my eyes at her, "This is not about my personal life it is about my profession and my business. I can do whatever I feel like and no one has the power to control my life. That's what I want to teach Armaan because if he's going to be my husband, he has to drop the idea to control me as a stereotypical male."

Aadesh interrupted "That doesn't justify any of your actions, you framed Armaan for Drug application misconduct. The FDA thinks he got the product approved under false pretenses when it was all you. I had a word with his assistant he mentioned your PA, Ritika changed the documentation while sending them for approval. I don't know how they even approved it but afterward started the investigation by themselves." I cleared my throat, "I have the answer for that... the FDA officers get a paycheck every time I send medicine prescriptions for approval but as Armaan became the new CEO, he didn't send it so they filed the investigation. See, I have no skin in this..." Aadesh glared at me and shook his head in disbelief.

Raj Kund hopped into the conversation, "Aadesh you need not worry... I will talk to them and make them change their decision-making Armaan come clean. Within eight hours he will be back home..." I cut him off, "No... he will be staying in jail for forty-eight hours... after that, if it changed my mind, I will set him free..." Raj Kund glared at me and tried to console me in a low voice but I shrugged it off. Aadesh gave me a smug look, "You're setting me too low Ishita, you have no idea what I can do..." I looked at him sternly sitting professionally and he went on, "Firstly I will get that little PA of yours arrested and make her spill everything. Secondly, I have good relations with the Commissioner and he would grant the bail easily setting Armaan free. You know why I'm sitting here telling you this... to show you... your real potential and make you realize how absurd and incapable you really are. I run this town and my family only chose you for the profit, a credulous daughter who lacks the merits to run a business but the world thinks she's self-appointed head of Mehra Groups. Even if you don't agree with the marriage alliance, Armaan has plenty of fishes in the sea but we will make sure to bankrupt you and your family with lawsuits for liability and defamation."

Quite a disrespectful monologue but I also have something for him, picking the glass of water from the center table I gulped it down faking me being nervous. Aadesh grinned proudly at his master plan; I love to wash off overconfidence and pride from people's faces, especially men. I took a deep breath before speaking, "A posh thirty-one-story building was constructed for the welfare of war widows and personnel of the Defence ministry. But I noted the society flouted various Environment ministry rules, to make my doubt clear I dug a bit deeper in this case and found politicians, bureaucrats, and military officers bent several rules concerning land ownership, zoning, and floor-space index. I also found it was alleged that members allocated flats to themselves in the cooperative society below market rates." I enjoyed his grin fading away with a hint of terror and confusion.

I concluded, "Galaxy Co-operative Housing Society reveals how a group of select officials, placed in key posts could subvert rules and regulations in order to grab prime government land – a public property – for personal benefit. I have the legal documentation and a few people who can testify in court. But unfortunately, I'm a very busy person so I wouldn't do it but will surely forward this scam information to the party standing in opposition in this year's Chief Minister elections. They will love to take this to the court and reward me for it as well. I only found out about this scam in one night's effort, who many will I find in a week or month?".

Aadesh stood up from his sofa the men behind him whispered something in his ears, which I guess was his personal lawyer as he previously wanted me to take the blame and sign the papers for it. Aadesh was fuming ready to explode but he took deep breaths to calm himself down, "You won't do any of it... or I won't give second thought getting you assassinated." His calm dangerous voice had many questions running behind as he was trying to find out how I know all his scams. 

"Don't worry I mind my business no one is a saint here... but Armaan is not coming out of jail till I want him to. You can either try to get your brother out of prison and later accompany him getting a cell next to him, or you can let him stay in jail and save your political career since your party men will make you resign and not a shit about you, that's what politics is the choice is all yours now. I will keep my promise and get Armaan out of the jail after forty-eight hours, agreeing with this marriage alliance. Now get the hell out of my house..." I stood up from the couch removed cease of my suit and moved toward my room through the staircase.

"Ishita..." Aadesh called out loud as I took my first step of the staircase, I turned and raised my brows at him. "How do you know that? Just curious... as you don't have any connections with political parties or do you... because these things aren't at the reach of some capitalist." This time I smirked proudly, "I do have some potential and can run this town by my own rules when the time comes. For your peace of mind, I don't have any political connections, yet I am well versed in the art of winning..." He nodded knowingly that I ain't telling him and I walked away getting inside my room to remove my bra after this long flight and this whole stressful thing.

I dozed off within seconds, in the evening I woke up to the sound of cutlery which was a cup and saucer. With a narrow peep, I saw my mother's annoyed face, "Here is the tea and you haven't eaten lunch. Ask the cook to make whatever you feel like..." she turned to leave. "Aree... what happened? All these cold shoulders." Whenever my mother refuses to cook for me, it means either she is mad at me or she is sick, otherwise, she stands on my head with a plate of food. Her face screwed up, "What happened? Seriously... you didn't call me when you were in Delhi. What if I would have died?" I slap my forehead, "Mom... Please... Stop these tantrums. Tell me straight forwards or I'm going back to sleep." She huffs and sits on the edge of the bed.

"I know Raj Kund has made your life hell but you're not only the one facing it. You know how much he taunts me for your reckless behaviors and lack of morals. I hate to hear it from his mouth disrespecting my daughter whom I'm proud of..." she glimpsed at me with sparkling eyes and I sit up on my bed. "So just cave his tongue out problem solved..." I suggested with a half-shrug. She glares at me I left small chuckles "Okay tell me what I should do to make you feel better... except bring Armaan back or clean my room." She smiles and pulls my checks then pat them, "I don't wanna brag but I think whatever you did was worth teaching him that lesson. If I would have done it then half of my marital problems would have been solved..." I placed my hand on my heart faking a gasp, "I'm going to have a heart attack and die with butterflies in my stomach..." she slaps my arm playfully then pleaded sweetly, "Respect Nayantara and treat her like you treat me... she's your mother-in-law but give her the place of a mother..."

I agreed with her, "Okay fine... I will from now onwards and would take her shopping as well. Happy now..." she pulled me in a bone-crushing hug. "I love you ishu..." I gagged "Don't call me that... and yes, I love you more..." she chuckled and rubbed my back placing a kiss on my cheeks. 

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

Hii there my lovely readers 🕮 Hope you liked this chapter, feel free to drop your suggestions and feedback related to the story.

If you want to know about me as an author follow me and drop a message in my inbox. I will surely reply to your text. Stay tuned for more such chapters coming soon💖

Vote and comment to help this book reach more readers...

Keep Reading Keep Smiling☺