Chapter 14 - Eve

The room I was placed into was small and dark with a little square window on the slanted ceiling and a minuscule washing room. A huge king size bed was placed in the middle, pristine white sheets and pillows looking a little out of place in this foreboding environment. Too homy in my opinion. And this place was anything but someone's home. There was also a nightstand, a round table with a chair, and a huge mirror stretched along the left side of the wall.

It's been three days since I got closed up in this little shed. There was no clock in sight but I saw the sunrise and sunset through the roof window.

Sleep didn't come easy to me in this place. And it wasn't surprising. I didn't know who kidnapped me or what the person wanted. The guard - a lanky old man - was bringing me food and drinks twice a day.

The first meal he brought - some kind of porridge with juice - I didn't touch. I feared it might have been poisoned or worse - drugged to make me complaint. But I hadn't eaten since before uncle Henry's party and soon enough I decided that fast food that was served for dinner could be safe enough to try. I hoped french fries and cheep burger couldn't be spiked, although I still had doubts as I was carefully taking bites and trying to smell something funny about it. I dispose of the juice, the morning oats and drinks I flushed down the toilet as well, quenching my thirst and hunger with tap water instead.

A packet with clothes was brought to me by the same man. A couple of dresses and panties. I noticed that the was no shoes or any kind of foot wear given to me. The nights were cold and the tile flooring didn't heat up. I would have been grateful for socks or at least simple flip-flops. 

A couple of more days passed. I waited for the person responsible for my kidnapping to show up but noone except my silent guard did. I was scared, hungry and almost going crazy from worry.  My daddy was alone in the hospital. The longest I hadn't visited him before were three days. That time I had been down with a flue and we had been chatting by Skype. I wondered if he raised an alarm when I didn't show up on Tuesday. He probably called me on my cellphone, but the device had been taken away from me along with other small things I had in my purse.

I thought about my office hours. The manager might have been calling me for days. I didn't know for sure but I doubted it was Jack Barrett who kidnapped me. The man knew how to accept the rejection with dignity I was sure. The question was if he had noticed my absence in the office or not. Or maybe he had already fired me on Monday. At this case I couldn't hope for my colleagues in the finance department to search for me. My dad was the only hope I had. But what could he do?

The morning when I counted the ninth sunrise I made another attempt to talk to the guard.

"People will search for me." I threatened him, since none of my beggings to set me free hadn't worked before. "I have friends and relatives who have called police by now. You know what will happen to you if you don't let me go? You'll spend the rest of your days in prison together with your associates."

The old man sneered and me and shut the door with a bang.

Of course my words were only partly true. I never lacked companionship in my life, but I always dreamed about carefree chit chatting about boyfriends or having girl to girl talks. In my harsh daily life however I was too busy to make friends and moreover couldn't afford to be swamped by their daily teenage dramas.

At one point of my life everything apart from my own pain became irrelevant. And teenage scandalous problems my schoolmates had been going through looked like childish crap to me. I was alone. Always alone. And I had no one to blame for being an outcast, only myself. 

I couldn't hold my tears any longer. They slid down my cheeks to my chin and I wiped them angrily, blaming fate for throwing too many challenges in my way.

Another week passed with noone but the silent guard bringing me trays with food. I grew desperate, ill thoughts overpowering my sanity.

Deciding that I had nothing to lose, I grabbed the chair and approached the mirror. I frowned staring at my own pale reflection. I wondered if there was someone behind this glass wall, watching me, examining my behaviour and waiting for my breakdown.

Well I was close to losing my patience now.  I kicked the mirror with my bare foot once, twice then lifted the chair over my head. My intentions were clear to everyone. I was sure of it. I was going to break this piece of cheep glass right that moment.

The moment when I was about to shatter it, I heard the electronic lock on the door beep loudly. My heart jumped in my chest. Slowly I turned around to face the doorway and a newcomer.

It wasn't dinner time yet. So it couldn't be the old guard. I had a feeling I was going to face my kidnapper and despite all my bravado I understood that I wasn't prepared. The chair couldn't possibly be a good protection, but I had nothing else to use for fighting off my potential enemy.

The front door opened sharply and my eyes grew wider.

"You?!"