Chapter 46

"Megan? You're Megan not me" The girl who held the knife said pointing it towards the other one.

"Lier! What have you done?" other girl cried.

Alex was confused and looked back and forth. Both girls looked alike and he couldn't recognise who Maddy was. But then he remembered that they wore different colour shoes every time. Since he couldn't remember which colour shoes Maddy wore that day, he decided to remember that the twin who wore 'Red shoes' had killed Collin.

He took a deep breath in, "Red shoes... Red shoes.." he mumbled to himself.

"What are you mumbling?" The girl who wore Red shoes asked him.

His breath hitched, "I... I... I need to go" he quickly took another step back.

"Not yet," she grinned.

Alex's eyes widened and he stared at her scared. He tried to take another step back but right at that moment the girl swung the knife towards him, making him startled. Alex lost his balance and fell down the stairs.

"Noooo!"

He heard a scream and opened his eyes slowly.

His vision was blurry but he saw both girls fighting. One screamed again and held her hand.

"You cut me," she cried.

"Why did you jumped in Maddy-"

He fell unconscious after that and opened his eyes when he felt drops of water on his face. He was on his side hugging his knees. Warm tears rolled down his cheeks and he tried to move, but he couldn't.

Megan had tied him up again and she stood next to him with a satisfied smile on her face. She crouched down with a pity look on her face and tried to stroke his hair, but Alex moved away. Megan laughed and grabbed his hair making him hissed in pain. She made him sit up and put Maddy's necklace in his pocket. She patted on it and smiled at him.

"Say 'Hello!' for me"

With that she dragged him towards the edge and pushed him into the water.

"Noooo!"

Alex closed his eyes the moment he hit the water. And the last thing he heard was Vera's scream. He felt the water pulling him down and the air bubbles leaving through his nose. But he didn't panic or didn't try to fight for his life.

Instead he felt peace.

He felt guilty for living his life to the fullest when he was the reason why a child had lost his life that day. A family lost a dear son and a brother and he shattered a beautiful family into pieces. It was him who should have been dead and right now he was glad that he could pay for that lost life with his life.

He couldn't save his friends and he couldn't protect Maddy. He was a failure and didn't have the right to live anymore. He was glad that Megan ended his life like this. Otherwise he would never have the guts to end his life or he didn't have the will to live his life.

Alex felt his body becoming lighter and he opened his eyes looking up, to see the bright light one last time. Darkness surrounded him and he felt like he was falling into an endless abyss. But he stared up at the bright light, and watched it becoming more and more distant.

He knew he was going to run out of air soon and prepared his mind to accept his fate peacefully. But something blocked that bright light and Alex watched it curiously.

Someone had jumped into the water and swam towards him while Alex watched, surprised. He swam towards Alex as fast as he could and his eyes widened more when he recognised who that person was.