Chapter 40

Few seconds passed but nothing happened. I watched the video impatiently and was about to move on to the next one, when I saw Maddy start to move further into the woods.

I watched curiously what she was doing. I thought she was just walking enjoying the scenery but she was looking at something in the lake and as I understood she was just following it.

Suddenly I remembered what Lyla told Maddy that day!

'Into the woods, into the woods near the lake. Follow the ducks, follow the ducks and you'll find.....'

Maddy stopped and took something out from her pocket. I took in a sharp breath. Was this what Lyla wanted me to see?

I chuckled to myself feeling stupid when I saw Maddy throwing some food in to the water. Those ducks that I saw earlier swam towards the place where she threw those foods and started to eat them without caring about the human who watched them.

Those ducks might have gotten used to Maddy or someone who looked like her. That could be the reason why they didn't fly away when Maddy reached them. But when she grabbed one from its neck, I was shocked and my mind went blank like I didn't have any choice but to watch what was happening. 

Other ducks flew away quickly while the one in Maddy's hand tried to get out of it. She carried it near a huge rock and placed the duck on it, still holding it from its neck. The duck made loud noises and struggled violently like it sensed some kind of danger. But Maddy smiled, and goosebumps erupted on my skin seeing the maniac look on her face.

I covered my mouth and screamed inwardly when Maddy brought a knife near the duck. She raised her hand and brought it down stabbing the duck in its neck. The phone fell out of my hand and I jumped onto my feet. I watched Maddy stab the poor creature again and again until its body was covered in blood.

My whole body shivered, but I couldn't take my eyes away, not even for a second. I swallowed the knot in my throat painfully and wiped away tears trying to keep my emotions under control. I watched her throwing the body of that poor animal into the water and it sank quickly covering her crime from the world. She washed her hands and the knife murmuring a song to herself and she walked away like she was satisfied with her killing.

"Practise!" she said, "I need to practise" she mumbled again.

Video ended after that but I was too shocked to think clearly. This was the proof!

Maddy did kill Lyla and Nick the same way she killed that poor creature. I didn't need anymore evidence to convince me that she was the murderer behind those deaths. She had gone too far for me to save her by myself. I needed to hand her over to the police and get the help she needed from Dean.

But.... before I do that, I needed to bring her here. I needed to see her with my own eyes before I let them drag her away.

I needed to hug her one more time and kiss her one last time. I wanted to say I loved her so much, and I would be on her side no matter what. I wanted to say sorry for leaving her alone. And sorry for not chasing after her harder. I wanted to say sorry for not knowing her sufferings and wanted to say sorry for smiling when she was really in pain.

I just wanted to hug her and wish the world to end!

I dialled her number and wiped away my eyes. But it was no use since tears started to fall out again. My foolishness cost two lives and I didn't protect Maddy like I promised her to. I should've kept an eye on her. I should've given more attention towards her.

If I did that then, this wouldn't have happened. I could've stopped her from becoming someone like her sister.

"Hello!"