Chapter 30

"Richard!" his expression made me worried, "what happened?"

I noticed Logan standing behind him with the same blank expression he always wore. I glanced at them both confused and Richard gripped the door for support like his body weakened for some reason.

"Alex!" his voice broke.

Richard walked towards me and hugged me tightly like he couldn't believe I was here. I heard him sigh in relief and I patted his back awkwardly silently pleading him to let me go.

It was awkward considering Logan's presence who stood there watching us. After some time he let me go and stood facing me.

"Why didn't you answer your phone" he shouted, "do you know how worried I was? I thought something happened to you too" he breathed hard.

"What happened?" I asked for the second time, "did something happen again? Who? Who....?" I couldn't finish my sentence since I didn't actually know what to ask.

"Who got murdered?"

I sucked in a breath and stared at Logan with wide eyes.

"Nick and Lyla"

I stumbled back and gripped the sofa. Richard came near me and held my arm.

"Where's she?"

"Who?" I looked at Richard confused.

"Maddy! Where's she right now?" he asked again.

That was when I remembered where I was. I ran towards the room and entered with Richard and Logan behind me.

Next to where I slept was Maddy, still in her sleep like an angel, not knowing what was happening around her.

I walked onto the other side and sat down next to her. I gently shook her and she opened her eyes, stretching her arms.

"What time is it?" She sat up.

"Maddy!" I whispered.

"I have a headache. I think that wine was too strong for us. You fell asleep right away and after that I did too. Ugh! It's killing me. Can you massage my head?" she pouted, putting her head on my chest. She hugged me and closed her eyes while I sat there embarrassed. I had never acted this intimate in front of Richard and to make it worse Logan was there too.

"Why? Can't you do it? Do you have a headache too?" Maddy opened her eyes and searched my face.

Richard cleared his throat and Maddy jumped away sitting straight on the bed.

"Oh my god!" Her face turned red, "What are they doing here this early in the morning?" she asked, annoyed.

"Maddy" I turned her to face me, "listen! Don't panic, okay?"

"You are making me nervous. What happened? Did something happen to Mom?" she jumped out of the bed.

"No!" I stopped her, "Lyla and Nick" I breathed, "They were killed....."

"Last night" Logan completed my sentence.

Maddy looked at him shocked and next second she held onto my body screaming Lyla's name.

"No! no! That's not true! How could that happen? You're lying. She's dead, so how could she kill somebody else? This is a dream, isn't it? It is... it is..." Maddy let me go and tried to walk back towards the bed. But before she could do that she fell unconscious and I jumped in time to catch her before she could hit the floor hard. 

We woke up Maddy's mom and left her in her care for the time being. I needed to talk to Richard and wanted to know what exactly happened. I still couldn't believe they were killed. Or was this really a dream? I wished!