Chapter 33

Logan nodded his head signalling Richard to leave and closed the file sharing a look with Max.

What had happened?

Richard glanced at me and then at Dad. The way he looked at us told me that something had happened and I was no longer needed here. He looked relieved and went out, closing the door behind.

"Mr. Russell," Logan said to my dad, "we're going to end this here and Alex is free to go" he said getting up.

"Did something happen?" Dad questioned, "isn't that why you're leaving in the middle of a questioning?"

Logan sighed, "yes, you're correct. Something happened"

I sat straight. I hoped this was not about another death.

"They found Miss. Carson's phone"

I stopped breathing.

"We found the last location her phone was on and went on searching from that point"

"So?"

"Some officers found it in a garbage bin near a house"

"Who's house?" Dad couldn't hide the urgency in his voice.

"Maxwell household" Logan walked around the table and stood facing us, "we will ask you to come again if we need you, Alex, but for now you're free to go with a warning. Keep an eye on him, Mr. Russell. All he does is getting into troubles"

With that they left and Officer Leroy took us back to his desk. I waited until they sorted out my release documents and after they were done I went home with Dad.

News of finding Lyla's phone near Vera's house had already spread in the town. As soon as we got inside the house Mom bombarded Dad with questions. I slipped into my room avoiding any conversations and called Justin right away.

After a few rings he picked up.

"Justin, what-"

"Alex! I can't talk with you right now. I'll call you back later" his panicked voice reached my ears.

"Wait! Do you know that they- "

"Found Lyla's phone near Vera's house? Yes! I heard"

I heard him cursing at someone and the sound of a car horn.

"Are you driving?"

"Yes, I'm going out of town. I'll call you back"

I heard someone whisper talking to Justin, "who's with you? Is that Vera?"

He was silent for a moment.

"Alex, I'll call you back, okay?" He said and hung up leaving me speechless.

Why didn't he answer me? Who was with him? Was that Vera? It must be Vera.

But why didn't he tell me? And why did he sound panicked?

I put my phone back on the table and lay down on the bed. What was wrong with them?

I decided to let that go from my mind for now. Only thing that bothered me was what Officer Leroy said at the police station.

Collin was killed the same way that others were murdered. They were all stabbed in the neck!

So that meant the murderer was still around. But what made him or her start killing again? Richard said it wasn't Megan, but what about the confession in her suicide letter?

From what I think Megan did that and... and Maddy killed those two following her sister's path?

I shook my head. No! Don't believe anything until you have proof!