Chapter 34

I put the photo back on the bed. I forgot to call Maddy to ask about the Memory card.

I dialled her number and waited until she picked up.

"Alex! Why are you calling me?"

I grimaced. She didn't have to sound so annoyed, "Maddy!" I sighed, "I called you because I wanted to ask about something"

"What?" she sounded impatient, "what do you want to know?"

I gritted my teeth. Why did she behave like this? I thought we were okay since she behaved very intimate this morning. I guessed I was wrong. She was back to her cold and distant self.

"Maddy, why are you behaving like this?" I didn't hide my disappointment, "you were okay this morning. No, I thought we were okay. So why ar-"

"I wasn't in my right mind"

"What?!"

"I said, I wasn't in my right mind" she shouted, "so why did you call?"

I sighed, feeling down. She didn't have to push me away that hard, "Did you find any Memory card inside my coat pocket?"

She was silent for a moment, "No! Why?"

"Can you please look around in your house? I need that Memo-"

"Why? Is it yours?"

"No! It belonged to Lyla. I think-"

"Did you see what was inside that thing?"

"No, I didn't have any time-"

"Good!"

Urgh! Stop cutting me off Maddy! "So can you please-"

She hung up. Maddy hung up even before I could finish my sentence.

I threw my phone on the bed and pulled my hair frustrated. What was wrong with her? I couldn't just give up on that Memory card. I needed to see what was inside. Lyla did say that it was about Maddy. Then I must see it, for the sake of my sanity and for Maddy too.

Everything was a mess and I didn't know who to believe or what to do. But I had to find it and I was going to find it.

I got dressed and walked out of the house.

"Alex! Where are you going?"

Mom's angry voice made me wince, "I'm going to meet Justin" I had to lie.

"If you going to meet Maddy after lying to me then don't"

I bit my lip. Did she have a sixth sense? "I'm not" I avoided her eyes.

"Okay, then. No problem. Richard said that they asked her to come in for a questioning. So she must have gone there by now. I'm just letting you know, because just in case if you changed your mind, you know that she had not disappeared and I don't have to worry about you too, thinking that you're wondering in the town beating people like a mad man just to find her"

She huffed and closed the door on my face and I stared at the door dumbfounded. Huh! She definitely had sixth sense.

I got into my car and drove away. If she was not there then it would make my work easy.

I reached her home within a few minutes and got out noticing that her car was not there. Good!

I walked towards the front door and searched for the key under the pot. I opened the door using it and entered. And the first thing I noticed was that Mrs. Brown had passed out on the sofa.

I shook my head. Looked like she had gotten worse.

I ignored her and went back to Maddy's room to search for the Memory card. I remembered where I put my clothes that night and searched that place including the bathroom. But I found nothing. So I came back to the living room and started searching again. But I was disappointed again since I couldn't find it.