Chapter 25

"Alex!" someone's panicked voice reached my ears. Then again I felt someone shaking me and the voices of a few other people.

I broke out from my trance and took a deep breath. I slowly recognised the faces around me and reached for the glass of water so I could soothe my dry throat before I spoke.

"I'm okay!" I mumbled rubbing my face.

I looked at the people around me. I was too exhausted to feel embarrassed and I gave them a faint smile. Mom let out a breath of relief and she looked like she was about to cry. Dad stood next to me with a worried expression on his face and sat down silently still keeping his eyes on me. Richard was kneeling beside me on the floor and his tight grip on my shoulder didn't lose even after I told them I was okay. He searched my face worriedly and I squeezed his hand to assure him. He got up sighing and sat down next to Logan who had a blank expression on his face.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Logan broke the silence.

I nodded, "Yes! I just saw another memory and zoned out. That's why I didn't hear you" I explained.

"We figured out that much," Richard sighed, "I'm worried about you. Why did they start to resurface now? You were better without them" he said.

"Dr. Scott said they resurface when my brain thinks I can handle them" I shrugged.

"I'm not worried about all the memories, but just one. I'm worried about just one" he mumbled.

"I will be alright. Don't worry!" I tried to ease the tension in the room, "I'm sorry for ruining the dinner. I didn't expect this to happen" I apologised.

"It's alright, Alex. Nobody could blame you" Logan shrugged.

We continued to eat in silence but most of us already lost the appetite to eat. After finishing the dinner I apologised to Logan again and came back to my room. Justin had messaged telling me that he and Vera would come together with their families to attend the funeral tomorrow. And I replied to him saying I would be doing the same.

I drifted into sleep thinking about Maddy, and for once I had a peaceful night.

**********************************

I got into my car adjusting my black tie and started the engine ignoring a very angry Mom who stood in the doorway still in her nightgown.

It was nearly noon and I didn't think my parents would decide to attend the funeral an hour before the burial. One reason was my father was at work and he would be late today to attend the funeral. And the second reason was they didn't want to spend more time there than needed. They wouldn't stay until Megan was buried and wanted me to leave with them.

That was why I left in my car and Mom was angry when I told her I would be staying after the burial if Maddy wanted me to. She didn't like the idea and she knew I wouldn't listen to her when it came to Maddy. She was angry and upset thinking that I was putting my life in danger by staying next to her. But Megan was gone and we were out of the danger.

I reached the funeral home in the town and parked my car in the almost empty car park. I knew people wouldn't visit Megan's funeral since she was named as a murderer. Still some people came, out of empathy for the remaining family members. But they also didn't want to stick around too long and left after showing their faces to the family.

Few of the police officers were here as Mrs. Brown requested. But seeing the grim expression on their faces I could tell that they were also not happy to be here. I looked around one more time trying to find out where Richard was. He left early in the morning and said he would be coming here as soon as he finished his work at the station.

They were finalising some documents before they close the case tomorrow. After that they would be leaving the town and would go back to the city to work on another case.

I headed towards the entrance of the funeral home where Megan's funeral was held. I stopped in the doorway looking at the open casket on the other end of the room. This wasn't the first time I was seeing a dead body, but for some reason I didn't have the courage to walk near it.

I looked around trying to locate Maddy, but she wasn't here. I recognised Mrs. Brown who sat on a chair in the front row and next to her sat another woman who looked like an older version of her. The room was empty except for them and I turned on my heels not having the mind to visit the body alone.

I bumped into someone when I did that and I apologised quickly when I heard that person cursed. I recognised his voice and looked at him angrily.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I whisper yelled at him.

Nick rubbed his face and looked at me smirking, "oh! Alex. Didn't expect to see you here" his smile widened and he leaned in, "I didn't think you would come especially after Megan killed Brittany because of you" he chuckled, "who knew you could make a murderer out of an innocent girl. Ah! Wait. That's not correct. She was a bitch and a psycho who took an interest in the popular guy. Too bad Alex. I think only crazy people take an interest in you" Nick chuckled again like he said the funniest joke. Instead it was stupid and I clenched my hands not wanting to punch him during a funeral.

"Says the idiot who fell for her trap" Maddy said, stepping in between us.

"Where were you?" I grabbed her arm and turned her towards me, "I called you last night and looked for you when I came here" I was annoyed.

"Urgh! Alex. Don't you know when to stop? I told you we are over. So why do you bother me and why do I need to answer your calls?" she spat.

Nick chuckled sarcastically and I glared at him. Her words hurt but I promised myself not to give up on her.

Maddy tried to walk away but I stopped her by grabbing her hand again, "I met Dr. Scott" I blurted out.

Maddy's eyes widened for a second and then hatred filled her eyes, "you did what?" she pulled away her hand angrily, "who told you to do that?" she gritted her teeth.

"He asked you to come to your therapy sessions. You shouldn't miss them Maddy" I pleaded. I didn't want to tell her the exact reason for my visit in front of Nick.

"That's none of your business" she fumed.

Nick chuckled again, taking our attention towards him. We both glared at him and he put up his hands still chuckling. That idiot!

"What's so funny?" Maddy faced him.

"Haha I thought that bitch was the only one who was crazy. But looks like it runs in the family" he mocked.

"Seeing a therapist doesn't mean you're crazy, you idiot!" I really wanted to punch him now.

"Hmm okay! If you say so" he shrugged trying to control his laughter, "But let me give you advice Maddy" he leaned in, "Never ever take sleeping pills. I heard that those were Megan's favourite" he burst out laughing.

I was shocked to hear what he said. How did he know about that? She used them to kill their father but there was no way he could have known that without somebody telling him. I couldn't even utter a word and I looked around nervously thinking someone might have heard him. But there were no people around and even if they heard they would've ignored it.

Nick straightened up and wiped away his imaginary tears, "Ah! that was good!" he was clearly enjoying this, "I wonder why she drowned herself? She could've taken the sleeping pills and died inside her room like the good bitch she was. But no! She had to give trouble to everyone. Do you think she took pills and drowned? You know.... because those were her favourite" he started to laugh again.

Before I could do anything Maddy walked towards him and grabbed his collar. Nick sobered up quickly but Maddy didn't let him go. Instead she brought her face next to him.

"Do you think this is funny?" she gritted her teeth, "My sister is dead and you're making fun of her right in front of her dead body? And what? Sleeping pills? It took only one pill and two wine glasses to knock you out. Yet you spilled all your secrets before you fell asleep like a good boy"

Nick visibly paled and looked at Maddy shocked.

"You... you are...."  he mumbled.

"If I were you I would keep my mouth shut and behave. After all... you don't have any death wish, do you?"