Chapter 39

A day passed and nothing unusual happened. I lost my appetite and the sleep, but everything else moved on while my thoughts stuck between Justin and Maddy.

Justin's condition was the same and I heard Richard talking about Logan pulling back men and stopped searching for Vera. According to him Logan thought it was a waste of resources, but he put a few people around the hospital thinking that Vera would come to see Justin soon.

I scoffed. Why didn't he ask her to come and hand herself over to the police? Instead he wanted me to passed her an stupid message.

Dean contacted me one more time yesterday through my mom. I asked him to give me more time to find out the truth and he agreed, but asked me to be careful around Maddy.

The more I thought about her the more I felt like I was going crazy. I thought about fighting my way out and going to see Maddy. But for some reason Richard was sticking to me like glue and watched my every move like he was waiting to catch me in the act.

I ignored him most of the time and spent my time in the room. I didn't have my phone or couldn't use my car. What else could I do in a situation like this?

I caught a glimpse of the box my mom gave me. I grabbed it quickly and threw all the stuff on the floor. I put the box away and sat down hoping to find something out or remember another lost memory through this stuff.

I went through them one by one. I had all the time in the world and no one was going to disturb me.

I found another set of photos inside a box. I was with Collin most of the time and in some pictures both of our families were there. I didn't see Vera in any of those. It could be because she was staying at the hospital at that time.

I found some photos that the Brown family had taken with us too. Some had taken on the day of the Christmas and some were from a picnic that we went out together. In those photos Maddy and Megan looked very identical and honestly, I couldn't tell them apart. I look closely at them again. Was there anything to recognise who was who?

I squinted my eyes. I thought I found something. Their shoes! They had worn different colour shoes in this photo. But it could be a mistake too. 

I went through all the photos that twins were in. My eyes widened. It wasn't a mistake! They really wore different colour shoes every time.

Urgh! But it didn't help me to recognise which one was Maddy.

I put them away and went through other stuff.

There were my drawings of Collin and I,  Christmas greeting cards from Collin, Birthday cards from Collin, Valentine day cards from.......?

Who gave me this one? It had a different handwriting.

I opened it curiously and read the name at the end.

Maddy?!

She gave me a valentine day card? God! This was so cute! It was really unfortunate that I didn't remember the day she gave this to me. I started to read what she had written inside. Her handwriting was cute and this became the most adorable thing, the moment I realised it was from her. 

Hi, Alex!

Happy Valentine's Day!

I wanted to give you a Valentine's day card because I like you. I like you a lot more than you think.

You are the only one who told me that I should say 'No' to my sister if she does something that I don't like. And if I got scared of her you said that you would protect me. Because of that I stood up against Megan and this time I will be able to make a lot of friends.