Chapter 20

I got up abruptly, sweat dripping all over my body. What did he say? Vera was his sister? Vera?! Maddy's best friend?

Oh God! What kind of memory was that? If Vera was his sister then why didn't she ever mention his name? Was it because of me?

Nah! I didn't think so. Why would she do that for me?

Urgh!

Questions! Questions! When would I be able to solve all the mysteries around me? They kept adding to my list and I didn't even know which one to pick first to solve?

I sighed and stayed on the bed listening for any noise inside the house. I might have slept for a long time, because when I woke up the room was in the dark and the house was silent too. I got up and had a quick wash. I knew Mom was at home, so I needed to find her to get something to eat. I was craving something sweet and was hungry.

I found her in their room reading a book with a black tea in her hand.

"Mom!" I barged in, "I want something to eat. I'm hungry!" I exclaimed, patting my stomach.

Mom rolled her eyes, "how old are you, Alex?" She mocked, "dinner is in the fridge.  Heat it up" she waved her hand dismissing me.

"Mom!" I cried, "I want to eat something sweet, not dinner" I pouted.

"You'll get to eat desserts after you finish your dinner" Mom got up and pointed her finger at me threateningly.

I chuckled and she smiled too, "oh God! Alex. You sometimes behave like a child" she shook her head disapprovingly.

I hugged her when she walked past me and followed her to the kitchen asking her about Dad and Richard.

"Your father is going to be late" she pushed the pasta plate in the microwave, "and Richard left an hour ago" she told me.

My heart skipped a beat, "Megan's autopsy report came?" I blurted out.

Mom narrowed her eyes, "yes! That's what Richard told me" she put the hot plate in front of me and sat down while I waited eagerly for her to continue.

"So...?"

She sighed, "It was a suicide and the funeral is on the day after tomorrow" she let me know and stayed silent watching me until I finished the food, "Richard told me what happened at the police station too" she searched my face worried, "what do you want to know, Alex? I'll answer your questions as much as I know" she offered.

Those words threw me off guard and I gaped at Mom dumbstruck. I didn't think she would willingly offer me when Richard cut me off even before I could ask anything. I opened my mouth to ask her questions but she stopped me with a serious expression on her face.

"Before you ask questions I need to explain this" she paused, "the condition you have called 'Repressed Memories'"

"Repressed Memories?!" I repeated the name confused, "what's that?"

Mom sighed, "let me explain, Alex!" She scolded, "do not disturb me until I finish, okay?!"

"Okay!" I promised.

"As it describes in psychology, 'Repressed Memories' are memories that have been unconsciously blocked due to the memory being associated with a high level of stress or trauma. So in your case it was Collin's death" she watched me carefully, "you witness something you shouldn't have. God! You were only ten years old. How could you face something like that? I was really grateful when you lost those memories. Otherwise it would've haunted you for the rest of your life" she took in a deep breath.

"How did he die?" I interrupted again.

Mom shook her head, "The memories you lost should come to you naturally. We shouldn't force you to remember or explain anything that could trigger your memories to come forward. It will cause you nothing good, I'm afraid"