Chapter 32

"So where were you last night between ten p.m and three a.m?"  Logan opened the file in front of him and looked up at me.

I glanced at the mirror, slightly nervous and feeling awkward at the same time as I knew there were people watching me including Richard. But there was nothing I could do other than go through this torture.

I sighed and faced Logan, "I was at Maddy's house, sleeping"

"When did you go to sleep?" Logan wrote something down.

I tried to remember the time. When did I feel sleepy?

I remembered I called Richard last night before that drowsiness came over me.

"I gave a call to Richard around nine o'clock. After that I went to sleep"

"So Maddy was with you at that time?"

"Yes!"

"What did you do before that?"

"I showered and had dinner," I shrugged.

"How was Maddy that night? Did she do something out of the ordinary?"

I shook my head, "No! Nothing out of the ordinary. She just looked distant and talked less than normal. It wasn't a surprise considering the fact that she buried her sister yesterday"

"We don't need your explanations. It's us who are going to decide what happened because of what" Max spat.

I gritted my teeth. 'Don't give in! They are waiting for you to make a mistake'

I forced a smile, "Sorry!"

For a second I saw disappointment flashed across his eyes. Good!

"So when did you notice Max was out there?" Logan questioned.

I stayed silent trying to decide what to say. Should I say that it was me who noticed him first? No! I told Richard it was Maddy who noticed him. God! I almost made a mistake.

"It was Maddy who noticed him. She said someone was following her and that person was out in front of her house. She also said that she saw him once with Richard. So she knew he was a detective"

"Did she ask you to call Richard? Was she the one who wanted Max to go away?"

My heart started to beat faster. Now I was sure they were after Maddy. They were waiting until I slipped something, so they could bring her as a suspect. Huh! I would be dead before I let them do that.

"No! she didn't ask. It was my decision. I knew the investigation is over and he was just on his own" I gestured towards Max.

Max just smirked and leaned back on his chair.

"Hmm" Logan hummed, "So did you go to sleep together?" he stared. Where was he going with that question?

My eyes widened. Not because I figured out what Logan was looking for. It was because I started to remember clearly how Maddy went out closing the door behind. She left me there, saying something about everything will be better after that night.

I shivered. Did she really kill Nick and Lyla?

"Alex!" Logan tapped on the table, breaking me out of my train of thoughts.

I looked up at him speechless. What should I say?

I looked around the room noticing how my dad and Max had leaned in, curious about what I had to say?

Tension in the room had risen and I could feel eyes on me from the other side even though I couldn't see them.

"Alex!" Logan narrowed his eyes, "Why are you not answering?" he asked.