Chp. 23 - Memento of Yore

Start from the beginning

~We only lived in this house for little more than a year. But I remember each and everyday from that time so clearly~ Yuuki sounded like she was smiling again. ~My sister and I always used to run around and play on the lawn~ 

I sat down on the one standing deck chair as she reminisced. ~We had barbecues and even built bookshelves with Dad! Those were good times~

"A bookworm to your core, cute," I teased, listening to her laugh in my ear. "Now, how's about we see how things are inside?"

~Y-you sure? Place is probably a mess...~ 

"Your call, it is your house, no?" I flicked the key up and back into my hand as Yuuki hummed. 

~...that's true, uh... sure, let's go!~ With that burning passion, I stood up and doubled back to the entrance, and within seconds, we had made it through the door with ease. Inside was pretty spacious. The hall led to a living room on the right with a doorway just ahead of me leading into the kitchen with a dining room to the left of the living room. Several shelves with items and pictures decorated the dark home, the hallway continued to my left, with a stairway not far and several other doors. ~It's exactly how we left it...~

"No one but family would've been here, so I imagine they didn't touch it for that reason," I replied, pulling out my phone to shine a light on everything, giving us a better view of the photos. "Huh, so they're your parents?" A kind-looking woman with long black hair, and a tall man with sharp features and short dark brown hair. 

~Mmhm, Mom and Dad were strict but kind, I think I got my love for books from my Dad, my sis definitely adopted Mom's maturity more than me, hehe~ Yuuki giggled as I lifted one frame that had just an image of her and Aiko, there was a subtle height difference, with the eldest twin being taller, not to mention the ponytail. Yuuki had short hair which looked really good for her.

I laughed slightly as I put the photo down, a funny thought coming to mind at our predicament. ~What? Is something wrong with our picture?~ Her tone was sharp as I shook my head.

"Just think, this would be the perfect set-up for the whole 'brought a boy home' sorta scenario, dontcha think?" I grinned as I heard Yuuki groan in pain. With a mocked sigh I placed a hand on my chest. "I didn't believe I caused you this much discomfort, Ms Konno?"

~Stop, use my first name!~ She whined but I could tell she was hiding her laugh desperately. ~A-and for the record, my parents would be totally chill with a guy like you, maybe the odd question, but completely cool about it!~

"Is that before or after I'm given the 'hurt our daughter and you're dead' talk ooor...?" I cocked my head dramatically.

~Like I'd know, I-I never had f-friends over so...~ Right, being bullied definitely didn't help that notion. 

Instead, I smiled, and added softly. "Well, you've got me, my friends, Asuna, and the Sleeping Knights, that's more than plenty - oh, and you look really cute with short hair, Cupcake,"

~Eh? W-what's with the compliment, n-not that I mind just really outta the b-blue?~ Yuuki stuttered as I shrugged.

"Just speaking the truth," With a final look around, I asked. "Anything else you want to see?"

~Maybe my old room?~ She offered to take me to a sacred place, oh boy. I slapped my cheeks and steeled myself for this challenge. ~It'll be nice to remember it before it's torn down~

"Huh, why's that?" I asked while climbing the stairs.

~My aunt wants to put a convenience store here or sell the property. It's why I wanted to see it one last time before that happened~ Despite the sour note this left in my mouth, Yuuki sounded happy, or was it content? ~I was fine with seeing it, but... knowing they kept it as we left it is really touching, it feels like I've stepped back in time, y'know?~

Timeless [Yuuki Konno X OC]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara