Chp. 33 - Expectations

[Alfheim Online, New Aincrad, Floor 1 Coliseum]

[Malzeno's POV]

After my glorious victory, and subsequent scorn from the adoring crowd, I managed to return to my friends only for the unexpected to block my path. I stood still, blinking several times to process my surroundings as I was compressed from every angle. "Uh, why am I being smothered in a human cage? Not that I'm complaining..."

We weren't among the seats but the doorway leading to them, so I was wrapped in hugs from Yuuki, Siune, Nori, and even the guys offered a firm hand on my shoulders, Tecchi placing his atop my head given his height. It felt very warm now, both for my body, and my face as I felt really embarrassed about this. 

"Cause, we wanna know if you're okay, dummy," Nori nudged my side, frowning like the rest over my apparent 'wellness', or lack thereof.

"We didn't hear all of it, but you lost your composure at the end of the battle, so we naturally felt concern over your health," Siune explained better for me, again, embarrassed I had three girls basically smothering me. 

"Yuuki was looking all worried too, worse than us, anyway," Jun shrugged, again, trying to appear aloof I imagine.

"W-well, duh, I'm supposed to worry about my comrades!" She deflected from the truth anyway, she knew what I once was after all. Then, I felt her arms squeeze my waist tighter, looking serious. "And I don't want to see you brooding over whatever was said down there; you can talk to us too, y'know?"

'I'm fine' is what I was going to roll out automatically, but I clamped my lips shut, feeling a weight in my chest ease a little. True, Shinku's words got to me, due to the fact he was connected to ArcSol too. Sighing slowly to steady my breath, I gave them all a gentle smile. 

"...it's alright, I just lost my composure for a second... but thank you," That finally got them to smile, releasing me. 

"There's m-more to this..." Talken pointed out, but nodded understandingly. "But this isn't our place to pry i-into your personal life,"

"But don't be afraid to approach us if you need it," Tecchi assured me from behind, and I nodded to them both.

"Right, always good to have several therapists on hand," I remarked, getting a few chuckles from the lot. Slapping my hands, I rubbed them together greedily. "Now then! Let's go see what lies ahead, I've got bets to nail down, and people to upset, hahaha!"

"You shouldn't get too invested, gambling is a terrible addiction for someone so young," Siune gestured with her finger like a teacher would during a lecture to me. "That goes for you too, Jun, Nori,"

"I haven't done anything illegal/Y-you can't prove I have - and it's just bets!" Nori and Jun excused. Nori appearing aloof, arms crossed, and Jun expressing a look of nervousness. 

A few of us expressed a light sigh, myself stepping forward beside Yuuki with a devilish grin that could match Argo's. "What's a fighting tournament without a few bets? I'm banking on Cupcake and Blackie to bring me my fortune, so I'm set!"

"You're using me like a betting horse?" Yuuki hummed in thought, eyes narrowed slightly as I felt a chill run up my back. 

"C-come on, you're making it out to be worse than it actually is - think of it, funds for the guild - yes! Exactly that!" Rapidly, I scrambled for a defence, not wanting to invoke her wrath. She's scary for a short-stack. "Right, Jun, Nori?" All I received was a dust cloud, the pair having fled back to their seats. "Eh?" Whipping my head around, I started to sweat anxiously when Talken and Tecchi backed up with timid smiles, leaving me with Siune's not-so-friendly smile and Yuuki's questioning look. "...well, seems I've just be notified of my associates sudden retirement from the betting scene - I have to say though, off topic, that is a peculiar place for a piano,"