Chp. 54 - Ordinal Scale, Activate!

"Switch!" Metal rang in my ears as the massive hand came crashing down, sending out a shockwave that shook the whole floor to its core.

"Switch!" Another called as a black blade threw the weight of the hand back, the massive beast unleashing a metallic roar under the rain of emerald sparks followed the blue streak of light.

"Switch!" A feminine voice chimed in, a woman in white and red flew backward through the air, allowing the pinpoint vertical slashes of crimson and aquamarine to leave twin gashes through the arm to the wrist, effectively throwing the arm and its body off-balance.

My eyes narrowed to the towering mass of metal before us as the skies turned to a starry night, streaks of comets flying through the false space as the boss let out an ear-piercing roar, finally drawn to its final health gauge-

[IRL, Tokyo, Nishitokyo]

[Kazuki's POV]

"-Kazuki~" Someone cut through my train of thought as I lowered my hand, noticing I was holding it in as if I wielded a sword. Right, not in SAO anymore, lately that's been a weird sensation.

I gave a wary smile to the girl that poked her head forward to look back at me, both hands behind her back in a cutesy manner. Short, raven-brown hair with a white headband, soft onyx eyes and a teasing smile that couldn't be mistaken anywhere else.

"Sorry, spacing out before this wonderful view," I chimed in, seeing Yuuki's eyes widen for a moment, her smirk widening as she stood upright again.

"Yep, still you," I feel like that was an insult but I didn't press Yuuki on it. 

"We were going to ask you where it is Miss Hosaka wanted to meet us?" To my right was a new face as of late. She wore a pair of glasses over her coal-coloured eyes with shoulder-length, straight hair of a similar shade, though among our group we knew it was a wig. Si-eun An, AKA Siune.

"This is the Rat we're talking about, she tends to tell me where to go after I've already been wandering for ten minutes in a circle," I replied dryly, then swiped my hand in front of me.

A screen came into view, along with many other small odds and ends around my vision as I enhanced the map and ensured our red route was correct. Pinching my fingers caused it to shrink as I pushed it to the top right of my vision. The Augma, probably the most popular thing since sliced bread.

It allowed for Augmented Reality, so I effectively had a HUD in the real world, which took a while to get used to and tone down all the notification prompts before I threw up again, yes, it made me motion sick, sue me. A perk of this lovely device to compete with Virtual Reality is I could host an avatar proxy.

What that translates to is someone from Full-Dive can connect and walk around in the real world, interact with other digital constructs and be seen by other users of the Augma. Of course, they're like a ghost so they pass through people and vice-versa. However, this meant Yuuki could finally walk around in the real world again from the comfort of her Medicuboid.

She wore the same casual outfit I helped pick out for her on our first date, so she looked like your typical teenager in high spirits which is the sole reason I've enjoyed using the Augma. I prefer VR. Siune, now that her chemotherapy was concluded and she was able to get her life on track, joined us today for a little afternoon break after school.

"Is that normal?" Yuuki blinked, raising a questioning brow at me.

"You wanna prod her for the answer?" I questioned back, seeing her quickly shake her head, arms crossed into an 'X' at the fear of losing more money. "Didn't think so, Cupcake--anyway, to answer you, Miss An, we're nearly there, cafe's not far now."