24| Twenty-Four

"Why do you look like you're going to vomit?" I ask Tristan as we find a carpark in the street outside the car yard my dad sent directions to, noticing it's not the sort of used car yard I was expecting, rather plenty of brand new cars that are definitely out of my price range.

"What me? I don't. I'm good," he insists.

"Uh huh," I laugh. He doesn't really look like he might be sick, I might be exaggerating, but he does look a little nervous. The way he has been gripping the steering wheel, hardly touched his coffee and the few times I've seen his Adam's apple bob up and down are a dead give away.

"You're dad, what sort of guy is he? Should I be worried?"

"He has connections with a biker gang, some old friend from high school, I don't know they just hung around the house when I was a kid. We weren't allowed in the shed. But like, he isn't a biker. Just looks like one. My mum never could get him to take the damn leather jacket off even at formal events. I don't think he's ever done anything really bad though, like he hasn't killed anyone. I don't think..."

Tristan slams the car into park, and turns to me jaw open. I can't keep a straight face anymore as I burst into laughter.

"That's not funny Mack," he mutters.

"It was pretty funny watching your face pale," I laugh, poking him in his side.

"Sorry for being nervous to meet the father of the girl I like. You know I've not really done this since I was a kid in high school," he says grabbing my hands to stop from poking him.

I take pity on him, softening my face. "Hey, you have nothing to worry about. My dad is the biggest softy ever. He has literally worked in an office his whole life, definitely no bikie connections. It's my mum who is the tough one!" I tell him genuinely. "There is no reason why my dad wouldn't like you, okay?"

"Okay," Tristan nods, finally convinced. I pull him towards me to give him a quick kiss then gather my bag and step out of the car, Tristan joining me a moment later.

We walk towards the entrance where my Dad is standing with Nathan beside him. I feel my grin grow as I see the two of them, especially because I didn't know Nathan was coming today.

"Hey Kenz," Dad says, giving me a big hug.

"Hi Dad!" I say into his neck, lapping up the sort of hug you can only get from a father. I pull away from Dad before giving my little brother a hug too.

"Dad, Nath, this is Tristan. Tristan, this is my dad Peter and brother Nathan," I introduce everyone.

Dad immediately puts his hand out to shake Tristan's. "I've heard your name mentioned a lot. It's nice to put a face to the name. Thank you son, you've been there for Kenz at some important times these last few months."

I can't help but look at Tristan with what I imagine would be heart eyes if we were an emoji. Dad is right, he has been there when I've needed him, more than dad will ever know.

Nathan makes a noise and my eyes dart to him. He has a knowing smirk on his face, looking between Tristan and me. I shoot him a shut up or I'll punch you look.

"Dad, this isn't the used car dealer I was thinking we were going to," I say as we walk past all the brand new cars at the entrance.

"There are used cars out the back," he says, before stopping and turning to face me. "But your mother and I were talking and we think you deserve something nicer. We weren't there for you when you needed us most and for so long you struggled without our help. So we want to get you a brand new car."

"Dad!" I exclaim, unbelieving of what he just said. "It wasn't your fault that I hid how bad things were. You really don't have to do this, I can't accept this. What about Nathan, that's not fair if I get this and he doesn't." I can't help but feel like it's a guilt gift, and I don't want that. It was my fault I shut everyone out.