27| Twenty-Seven

The tension in this room is high. Like blowing a balloon up as far as you possibly can, then threatening to pop it with a pin. Somehow though, we're managing.

Scarlett, Tristan and I are going over portfolio's and placing them in order of priority and assigning them to each of us. With the restructure and two beginners, there's a whole lot of new planning to be done. This means the three of us are in a room together all day long.

Tristan has hardly looked at me. He has spoken only when necessary and I'm too chicken shit to bring it up. I can't get a read on how he's feeling at all.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Scarlett announces and excuses herself. I look at her with a plea in my eye to please not leave me alone with him, but she just mouths talk to him instead. Some friend.

The door closes behind her and I pick up a file, finding a tampon ad campaign incredibly interesting.

"Mack," Tristan speaks my name softly. I look up at him and am relieved to see the normal, soft Tristan back and not the cold hard man who left me crying in the street yesterday. "Can we talk?"

"Like now? Or..."

"Later. Come to my place after work, I'll cook and we can talk?"

I nod, my heart hammering in my chest. "Um, sure. Yep. Ok. Sounds good."

"Ok, great," he smiles softly picking up the next file from the pile.

That was it for the rest of the day. Just the promise of hopefully sorting this out later.

***

My hands are sweaty as I stand outside Tristan's door. My leg was shaking uncontrollably in the uber over here, my new car won't be ready to pick up until early this weekend- they hope! So I'm still catching Uber's and public transport. Through the door I can smell the sweet smell of whatever pasta dish Tristan must have cooked us.

I have no idea what to expect from tonight. What I hope is that we get to speak and sort out the total misunderstanding that yesterday was. However, there is still the issue of the awful words Tristan said to me. If that's how he really feels, and how little trust he has in me then it's not a great way to start a new relationship. I can't help but consider Tristan has asked me here to let me down lightly, and call whatever this is off before it even begins. Scarlett laughed at me when I suggested that earlier, full on hysterics.

I take a deep breath, wipe my sweaty hand on my jeans and knock three times on Tristan's front door. It takes about a half a second for the door to swing open. Knowing the layout of his apartment, he must have been on the couch waiting for me to arrive. Possibly even heard me stalling at the door.

There's a nervous smile gracing his beautiful face. "Mack, you came," he breaths out as though relieved.

"Well you did invite me," I smile. "Are you going to invite me in?"

Tristan steps backwards, or more jumps and sweeps his arm to the side gesturing for me to come inside. I step in and close the door behind me and slip my shoes off while he is already making his way to the kitchen. I've never seen him so nervous before. It's a little endearing and hopefully a positive sign.

Walking a little further into his apartment I see he has gone to a lot of effort for tonight. The coffee table has been cleared of all books with a table cloth lay across it. There's a few small candles burning, two glasses and a bottle of wine chilling. On the floor are a couple of large European pillows.

"I hope it's not too much," Tristan speaks from behind me.

I turn to see him carrying two plates with lasagne on them, the smell making my mouth water. He places them on the table and heads back to the kitchen to get the salad and garlic bread.