Chapter 40

Akali is laying against me as we watch TV. Conrad just walked in a couple of minutes ago and he has only been complaining about how the exams are coming up and he is not in the mood for mid-terms.

"It is always like this," I state.

"The complaining?" I nod, "I mean, who wants to study every single day only to write a three-hour test? Why not just spend it doing something you want to despite it being the one thing you need to do to further your career?"

Conrad then walks up to us as he sighs, "Okay I don't need you to be smart with me."

"Suck it up," she tells him.

He then suddenly lifts his spirits as he ignores her, "Okay. So. Break is coming up also so what are we all going to do as a group?"

Akali then states, "I am staying here because I have work to do and Ahri would probably throw a fit if dare disappears," she then looks at me, "Unless you propose somewhere in the next two weeks, we get married, and we honeymoon in a completely different area because I am not going to do it with him," she gestures to Conrad.

"This is very counterproductive to my planning," she sighs.

I then counter, "I also probably won't be able to make it, I already need to go to the IT center in the next city over to write my tests."

Akali instantly furrows her brow, "What?"

I look at her, "I kinda forgot to tell you - I have to leave to write my exams at the IT center where they give us the diplomas. I study through professors here but I still need to go through them to actually get my IT certificates."

She then sinks into the chair as she sighs, "Okay but, listen, baby, I still really can't just abandon work. Ahri is going to throw a fit."

I stop her, "I wasn't going to expect you to come with-"

"But I want to," she groans, "That is the point I am trying to make," then sinking even lower as she drops her head on my leg, "When do you have to leave, and for how long?"

"Probably a week," I state, "I mean we can talk to Ahri-"

"She is going to say no."

"We can still try."

She looks at me, "YOu met her once and suddenly think that woman can be reasoned with?!" then rubbing her eyes, "Actually? We can just let you try and convince her because I know if I tried nothing is going to work."

Conrad then suggests, "I mean... why not just take work with you?"

"Not going to work."

"Say that you have a brand deal you want to check out?"

She then asks him, "I don't really know what goes on in your head half of the time, but that is an even worse idea than the other. There is a reason why we have a manager that handles everything."

I grab her hand as she shoots me a distraught look, "This sucks."

"YOu will be fine," I reassure her, "I'll call you every day."

"Stop talking like you are going to leave already, when is this again?" 

"In a month from now," I say.

She nods slowly, "Let's just... first see if we can get something by Ahri, and if that doesn't work I will be keeping your bed warm until you get back - because I am going to go on a hunger strike if Ahri dares say no."

"But... you need food," Conrad snickers.

She ignores him completely, "And I am going to be stuck here with him!?"

He then furrows his brow, "Uncalled for. I can be pretty fun."

She looks at him, and then back at me, "Listen. I know this is your future but maybe we can work something out."

I shake my head at her with a smile, "It won't be that long."

"It isn't even here yet and I am already dreading it," she is super dramatic about it.

Conrad then clears his throat, "So about break?"

"Not going to be able to," I gesture to Akali, "She is going to need me as an emotional support boyfriend the moment I get back and still won't be able to go anywhere unless K/DA has to go and perform somewhere."

She lifts herself instantly, "Where are you going again?"

"Seapoint-"

She groans again as I destroy her slither of hope, "They have no cultural and music festivals ever. Maybe we can plan something like that for your break but that means me permanently working and still not having time with you." 

I brush the hair from her face as I shoot her a smile, her annoyed glare falters as she shoots me a smile back, "I am still annoyed."

"You will be fine."

She lifts herself as she nods, "Doesn't make it any less annoying. Whatever."

***   ***   ***

"Not happening," Ahri says with a straight expression.

"Come on, please?"

"I already gave you some time off," she crosses her arms as she holds his stance, then looks at me, "I am sorry but I can't just give her more and more free time only for her to shirk her responsibilities."

I nod, "I guess I can understand."

"We can plan for something for your break," she twists her lips to the side, "Akali, why don't you check if True Damage is up to perform a small gig over break."

She instantly lights up, "Oh yeah-"

"That doesn't mean you will have less work for K/DA seeing as you will taking Yasuo with you most likely," she then purses her lips, "Nevertheless, just see if you can plan something there but as for going with there is no way I can let it happen."

"What if I work overtime?" she pleads.

"Nope."

She lifts her shoulders, "It was worth trying."