Chapter 16

Setting up the mattress... by setting it up I really mean just dropping it in the place with the most space and tossing on a pillow and a duvet. I am probably going to end up sleeping on it so I don't care as much.

Stretching my back, I walk outside of my room as Conrad is standing in the kitchen on his phone.

"I'm headed to bed soon," he looks up at me as he yawns, not bothering to cover his mouth, "You two enjoy yourself. If you are still hungry somewhere around 3 am I put everything in the oven for the night."

"G'night."

Glancing outside, she was still stood there at the fire. Walking towards her, I stop for a moment as I watch her face. Something is definitely wrong but I already asked once and it is probably not a good idea to meddle just to end up annoying her.

She lifts her gaze suddenly, then glancing towards me. I then move again, probably looking extremely awkward. Getting closer a smile spreads across her face as she asks.

"Were you staring at me?"

"Uh... you looked upset and-"

"Didn't want to bother?" pushing her lips together she blows onto the embers, "You know... Ahri doesn't lose her nerve easily and I am pretty good at getting on them. It is probably my fault," she lets out with a frustrated chuckle.

"She probably just cares for you - I doubt she would be angry if that wasn't the case."

"Probably," lifting her arms she fixes the hood around her neck, "Though we all have friends that people wouldn't generally approve of."

"Like you and him?"

With a smile, "He is probably not as bad as I think he is."

My heart sinks slightly, "Probably."

"Though I don't plan on being best of friends with him - friends of a friend and all that," her tone then shifts, "Welp. Nothing I can do now other than go back tomorrow and apologize. Thanks for letting me stay over."

I only nod, then after a short silence I ask, "Is that why you messaged me earlier today?"

She nods slightly, "Kinda. I was pretty angry so I was doing it more out of spite than anything else."

"Ahri?"

She shakes her head, "It doesn't matter."

"I don't mean to pry."

"No, I don't mean it like that. Getting the chance to complain to someone about it kinda helps but I don't want to drag you in the middle of something pretty stupid," turning her head, she locks eyes with me, "Unless you really want to know."

I think for a moment before slowly shaking my head, "I can kind of understand - then again probably not."

I don't know. It kind of sounds like it is something she wants to end up talking about... but on the other hand, it is probably something I don't want to hear about and will find a way to worsen my mood in the process.

Having both of us feel like that is not a good idea.  

Flashing me one last smile, she returns her gaze back to the fire. Hovering around it for a few moments longer she breaks the silence with a yawn and then a giggle.

"We should probably get ready to sleep."

"Yeah."

Turning to leave, I close the sliding door after us and lock it. Pulling the curtain over it so that when I wake up in the middle of the night to get something to drink that my paranoia doesn't tell me that someone is in our backyard.

With her bag over her shoulder, "Going to hop into the shower real quick."

I nod, "Go ahead."

Sliding past me, I then walk into my room as I turn on my pc with my toe. Dropping into the seat I decided to go through my student emails to make sure I didn't miss something other than the project we are already working on.

With a deep breath, I lean back into the chair shutting my eyes tightly - this is so surreal and I can't believe that I am not freaking the fuck out. Then again I am just helping out. I kind of don't know how her personal life is... everything feels like it is under cover and somehow she is talking about it without letting you know anything.

Whether or not she is dating someone, whether or not she is interested in anyone. The internet isn't helpful in that regard either. Though... do I care because I like her or because it is a celeb crush?

Then snorting at myself - If Akali heard that she'd probably be annoyed... saying that we are both humans.

Guess in the end that is all that should matter. Even if I can't persuade myself of thinking that way.

***  ***   ***

Stepping out of the shower, I quickly dress and head straight to my room. I did tell her she could rummage on the pc if she wanted to. I don't think there is anything to be embarrassed about... I think. 

Quickly picking up my pace, I step inside as she is sat in a chair next to mine. Her attention is on her phone as she states, "Welcome back."

"Thanks..."

"I have to leave early tomorrow," she then looks at me, over her shoulder.

"There is a spare key in one of the baskets near the entrance. You can take it and give it back at some point."

"I'll swing by again to give it back at noon or so," she then shakes her head, "I'll just end up calling you."

"Both works," I admit, then walking over to drop down in my seat she sets her phone down on top of the table, "It is pretty late though."

She shakes her head, "Hm mhm, it's fine. I'll probably end up falling asleep faster this way."

I then tilt my head, my gaze locked onto the screen, "I could always bore you to death with code or force you to play some games if you really want to do that."

She scoots closer, "Let's hold out on playing anything before I actually end up liking it and have a new hobby that ends up making Ahri angry with me," she chuckles, somewhat in a better mood.

"Yeah don't want to stay up the entire night."