Chapter 20

Crouched down to look at the things on the rack, I glance over my shoulder to glance at Akali who is wearing her 'disguise' and honestly I think anybody can see through it. Maybe it is because my current observation is based on I know how she looks with it which makes it obvious.

She notices my staring, "Something wrong?"

I shake my head quickly, "Uh no," then glance back at the shelved items, "I am just taking a quick look at it again to make sure I don't go broke."

"These things have no place being this expensive," she crouches down next to me, her shoulder against mine. I lock my eyes on the price and despite knowing that I am taking what I am looking at, "You going to go with that one?"

I nod, "Yeah I am," then grabbing it I lift myself to grab the rest of the stuff.

"Skipping college to fix your pc. Priorities am I right?"

I chuckle, "I hoped that you understand."

"I do - I do. Obviously, a lot more important things to go and do than securing your future," I glance at her as she raises her eyebrow, it's hard to tell if she is smiling or not behind her masks, "Hmm?"

"I only have one class today and I am pretty much ahead," then grabbing the last two items along with thermal paste, "No point going to class for like an hour and then go home and then to the stores with the chance that someone took everything I want."

"Aren't these things always in stock?"

I shake my head, "I am very unlucky."

"I wouldn't say that," she tilts her head.

"What why?"

She steps closer, pushing me forward, "Come on finish up already, we spent already like an hour in here with you explaining everything and proceeding to triple check if you really wanted everything you picked out."

"Alright alright - got carried away."

I rush towards the counter to pay for my stuff, she stood just a few paces behind me with her gaze locked onto her phone. She tilts her head slightly as she quickly types something, returning my gaze forward. 

I am seriously out of my depth, aren't I?

***   ***   ***

Stopping by one of the restaurants at the mall located at the western exit, she claimed it was awesome to eat at and I have this thing where it is impossible to say no to anyone I find attractive.

Seating outside near one of the exits, she sits across from me, "What are you going to do for this weekend?" she asks.

"You really think I should go?"

She nods twice, "Obviously. I imagine you can have some fun with it and if there is really something as ridiculous as having a partner then you can always ask that girl Conrad mentioned."

"He likes speaking through his ass."

"He knows girls and can probably tell if a girl is interested in someone," she props up her arm on the table and rests her face in her hand, "I have this feeling that it might have just flown over your head."

I twist my lips to the side, "Dunno."

"Don't like her?"

I shake my head, "It's not that. She is gorgeous and pretty smart."

"Not your type?"

I scoff, "I am not the type to choose, if anything the last thing I should do is choose."

"Scared of rejection?" not making any eye contact, I can't find a way to tell her that I am not really interested in her because of the fact that I have my sights set on her.

My nerves are at the edge, my heart is beating like crazy. Even if I wanted to ask her it would be hard and there won't be a way to hide my inevitable embarrassment or my disappointment.

"It comes with it. Some things are not meant to be and... the thing about it is that the regret that comes after is the worst feeling. Even if it might just sting when you want to ask that question, even if it hurts now it won't be as bad as forever wondering what if."

She giggles, "So. Just live in the moment and don't hesitate for a moment."

"Thanks, Akali-"

"Though just make sure you find the perfect time. She sounds like the person that would probably not want to hear it at random so don't just lead off with it."

I nod slowly - I can't be a beggar, nor can I really complain about it.

"I'll do my best."

Then crossing her arms in front of her, "Besides you had plenty of practice with me, if you want to try and get a feel so that you don't completely trip over your words you can just ask me it a few times to get a feel for it."

"That sounds rather twisted," I narrow my eyes at her.

She shakes her head with a gasp, "It's not like that. I am serious I want to help you, or at least I'd like to think I did a better job than Conrad."

I nod, "You probably did."

She rests back into the chair, her gaze lowered to her hands, "And I was wrong about him. I thought he was a little bit of a dick and used you to feed his ego. He is sweet in his own unique way."

My heart sinks instantly, "Do you like him?"

"God no," she snorts.

Thank goodness she can't read my thoughts. I'd actually lose my shit if she did.

"Why?" she asks, her expression very serious, an expressionless gaze examining my face.

I twist my lips to the side, "Was... just curious."

"I mean... it's pretty obvious that what I said was bothering you. You can't hide it that well at all, but I was wondering this for a while actually ever since I talked to Conrad. Do you have feelings for me?" she wears the same expression, saying all of that so easily.

"What did he say for you to ask that?" I move past the question.

"My question first."

No luck. Am I really going to confess at her terms? Nothing sweet about it? No lead-up? Just like that and probably being shot down just as quickly. I adjust myself in my seat as I tuck my hands under the table, interlacing my fingers as my heart goes insane.

"I..."

She finally chuckles, "Sorry for being so hard on you like that. I would probably be a little angry if I made a friend and they ended up falling for my friend," she then smiles at me, "Was just teasing you."

Her phone rings at the worst time, she picks it up as she sighs, "What's up, JP? No I am with someone right now," a smirk spreads across her face as she shifts in her seat, "You sound awfully jealous. Yeah, it is the kid I slept over at. Alright, why'd you call me anyway?"

I don't think she sees anything in me. All of this is just probably to build me up to something and here I am getting attached to feelings that probably aren't there.

"Only if you start begging. God... please just shut up I was joking. I have plans already so you are just going to have to wait till tomorrow or something. This weekend?" she glances at me, twisting her lips to the side, "Yeah I am free. For the most part anyway. Yeah. Bye."

She then turns back to me, "Sorry about that."

"Sounds annoying."

She sighs with a smile, "He has been a pain in my back for a long time, anyway let's just enjoy breakfast."