Chapter 8

***   Akali POV   ***

Twisting my mouth to the sides, I look down at the phone watching the call go through for the second time. It is almost close to midnight and he hasn't even logged on to play games with the rest.

Did something that small really turn out to be that bad of a thing?

"Why do you look so down?" Ahri asks, glancing at her as she is curled up on the couch.

I lift my shoulders, "Feel like I was supposed to come through for somebody on something, and in the end, I made it worse."

"That kid?"

I nod, "Someone saw us, so obviously means that people are going to find out... that is just how it is but he called me earlier about it and," lifting my shoulders as I push my lips together, "I honestly didn't expect to escalate at all."

"It's just stories," Ahri states, "If he is getting upset about it then he should grow a backbone and learn how to deal with it. It's fine to run to someone about stories in middle school but at this stage, you should just either take it on the chin," then with a smile as she drops her gaze back to her phone, "Besides. How can being seen with you ever be a bad thing?"

Lifting my legs onto the single couch, "Not everyone is from the same world."

She nods, "You would know, I doubt the Kinkou acted like children. The worst that can come from it is people that are so petty that they try to find to use it against them... then again, we don't even know whether or not (Y/N) gets along with anyone."

Then letting her smile fade, "I don't know what is worse. Being targeted because someone you think is lower than dirt is talking with a celebrity - or the fact that they use this against him and force him to prove that he knows you, most wouldn't even bother but then you get called a liar looking for attention."

I sigh, "People are wicked."

"Quite," she then lifts herself to her feet, "He will be fine, if you worry that much why not make a little effort?"

***   Normal POV   ***

"So you two aren't dating?"

I don't bother looking him in the eye, my gaze locked onto the window off the cafeteria, "I never said we were. That and you made it pretty obvious for heads to turn to me when that girl went and spilled her guts."

"Aren't you blaming me a little too much for this?"

I lift my shoulders, "I think it's stupid. Something got out of hand that would never ever happen and I suddenly have to go around like an idiot saying that we aren't dating. Guess (Y/N) just wanted attention for a change."

"You are being too hard on yourself, man-"

"Doesn't change the outcome," I groan to myself, "I'm just beyond annoyed," I lower my head onto my arms as I hear footsteps draw closer.

Hearing Grace's voice, "Well. The good news is that nobody is talking about it anymore, the bad news is that it pretty much spread fast enough around that everyone would hear about it."

"Shocker," I then lift my gaze.

Toby then drops next to me, "What is the worst that could happen?"

"Nothing really, just a major inconvenience," Gregory states, "Though, on the other hand, there is still the question of how you even met Akali that will be on people's lips for quite a while."

Then lifting my gaze, "Chances are it blows over or I never get to live it down as the dude that 'met a celeb and claimed to date her'."

Conrad then chuckles, "Sucks to be you, you met her at least."

I lift my shoulders, "I guess comparing one with the other, it isn't all that bad - doesn't stop it from being any less annoying though."

Grace then smiles at me, "Might as well own it like a badge of honor."

I can deal with that much, I just ended up ghosting her because of my frustration and I feel bad about it.  I could have at the very least replied to some of the messages and I am just stuck feeling sorry for myself.

Classes thankfully went by fast, on the other hand, I wasn't asked about it despite being a victim of their stares. Guess the validity of whether or not it is true is up in the air - I still don't know what is worse but at this point dealing with it myself rather than asking her is as good as it gets.

It is my fault for not speaking up first no matter how I look at it.

Walking down the steps of campus, my phone rings and I reach for it on instinct answering it instantly, "Hello."

"Hey, it's Akali. Are you free?'

"K-kinda. Just walking home just now-"

"Mind if I pick you up?"

Twisting my mouth to the side, "What? Like at campus?"

"That is why I am asking first, I am nearby so let me know."

"Sure, if you don't mind making a scene," I state as I only hear her giggle.

"Guess it is a little bit too late for that, huh? See you in a few."

I mean... no I don't think it's too late at all but it's too late to now I guess. Digging my phone in my pocket, I walk down the steps towards the campus entrance. I rest against the all as she, sure enough, stops right in front of me.

She lifts her visor as she tosses me a spare helmet, "Put that on and get on before we can't get out."

Doing as I am told, I get on the bike awkwardly, "I would ask but-"

"I said I was going to make it up to you."

"You didn't..."

"Well... I am doing that anyway," she then looks back at me, "Hold on to me or anything, wouldn't want to lose you on the way."