Chapter 9

"So you ended up dealing it with yourself," I glance over my shoulder as she leans against her bike.

"It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be initially but I figured the whole 'dating' thing would be an inconvenience for you and would have eventually nipped me in the ass," then staring away from her, "So as it stands, if it does come up again I just tell that yeah I did meet you like a whole fan meeting thingy."

"Probably for the best that is has that outcome... but on the other hand they could always twist it."

"Used to it," I sigh to myself, "As long as it doesn't really affect you then they can talk all they want about me."

"Hmm," I turn around as she watches me with narrowed eyes as she coos, "It's cute that you are thinking of me in this scenario where I was the one that made the mess in the first place - but you don't have to, you kind of get used to it and dealing with it becomes all the easier as the years go on. Fame and all its quirks."

I nod, "I can imagine," then chuckling to myself, "Well kinda."

"Is that the reason you made it out to be worse? Because of you were thinking of me?" she asks suddenly, though the question feels to obvious and she wants to find an answer among my own, "Hmm?"

"I..." then rubbing my neck as I think, "Don't know. It was annoying and I was too focused on it, probably made it out to be worse than it is but I feel like I have enough reason to act that way? I don't know. Worst of all was the fact that if such a rumor hit something mainstream it would probably blow up in my face and be an inconvenience for you, maybe even worse."

"I wouldn't have let it go that far," she states.

I only nod, then stating absently, "Yeah I doubt that would ever be possible."

With a grunt, I hear her step closer as she asks, "Saying that you would never choose me if you could?" she pushes herself forward, forcing me to meet her eyes.

"Ah-" instantly averting my gaze, "N-no I didn't mean it like that. Aren't I a little too..."

"Go on."

The awkward smile fades from my face into a frown, the knot in my throat refusing to be swallowed as my chest is ready to burst. I struggle to find my words, even more trying to make eye contact.

She then giggles, seemingly breaking the tension, "Relax a little," she then steps away from me as she digs her hands into her jacket's pockets, "You have... this tendency to put yourself at the lowest level possible and others on a pedestal. Not in a way where you think they can't do no wrong but that talking to them is a sin, I am not some goddess."

"Yeah... I g-guess so," I fix my posture as I watch her through the corner of my eye, "Though with the title Goddess with a Blade."

She snorts, shaking her head at it, "Forgot about that one. What I mean to say is, it is possible for anybody to date anyone. There isn't any someone like you, someone like me."

"Sorry-"

She then looks at me with a smile, "Words only mean so much - so prove it by treating me like a friend. I mean I guess you are already halfway considering you aren't hanging at my every word, you aren't seeing me as-"

I interrupt her, "As a celeb? Kinda hard not to."

She shakes her at me, "We just took five steps backward," then with a sigh, "I am a normal person, people enjoy the music that I make, and as an entertainer and few see past that persona. They think they know me but in reality, the you that is standing right next to me is closer than they will ever be."

It is almost enough to make me get a big head. Maybe I am just lucky, through all the times that I either got dealt the short stick or forced it upon myself this change is to make up for all that. Or maybe I am being too hopeful that one person can change something a few already couldn't.

"Akali-"

"Yep," she answers instantly.

"- Why did you ask to meet me?"

With an arched brow, "Can I not see my own friend?" then continuing, "You called and asked for help about your situation. I felt I needed to make it up to you but then you went and surprised me by taking the initiative to handle it yourself."

"It wasn't all that hard-"

She nods, "But still. You were upset and I could tell - calling me at that time was probably just unlucky and I really would have done my best to help, but then again it would have come down to what you did without my help."

"I appreciate the gesture anyway."

"Then if I may ask when I called why did you pick up?" she counters my question, "Why agree to meet me?" catching me in a tight spot, I open my mouth to speak only for the words to fade instantly.

She then continues, "If you want to say you wanted to see me you can. The same goes for me, right? If I wanted to talk to you I could call or message you. When you start questioning the motive it feels like you are only doing what you are doing because you feel guilty or because you feel like you need to do a favor. Feels pretty shit doesn't it?"

"I wasn't thinking I am just..."

"Still thinking of yourself as someone not worth talking to?" her stare pierces through me, I manage a slight nod, "I am going to be honest with you, (Y/N) but it is going to get frustrating pretty quickly. Any other silly questions?"

I shake my head. Not daring to risk what would classify to her as a silly question. Questions like - why was last night a bad time? What made you want to take an initiative to even try to be my friend? 

Okay, I can see how the last one can get on her nerves.

She then chirps, "Good," she then states, "But... considering you put rest to the rumors there is this little issue where I picked you up in front of your campus which could make things worse."

"I think I can handle the worst."

"You sure?" she asks.

"If you ask it like that I am going to rethink it..."

Rolling her eyes with a sigh, still maintaining her smile, "Alright."

"Where are we anyway?"

She then gestures for me to follow her, "Near our studio, didn't have a place to drive to and Ahri is home and I wasn't going to dump you into that situation... she is a bit moody these days."

"You live with her?"

She nods, "Yeah. For a while actually - the deal is that when I get a boyfriend she kicks me out of the house."

"Are you?"

She raises her eyebrow at me, "Someone is being a little nosy."

"I- uhm-"

Moving past my stumbling she holds in her laughter, "No. I haven't been too focused on it at all. Searching for something is harder than stumbling upon it... I think the latter would be a lot more rewarding."

Then nudging her elbow against my side, "I'm sorry but your panicked flusters is too cute and too easy to trigger."

"Glad someone is enjoying it for a change."

She arches her eyebrow, "I am starting to think the crowd you hang out with is way too serious..."

"Are you saying I should hang out with your people?"

She thinks about it for a moment, "God no. Evelynn would just eat you up... or maybe be the fastest way to boost your confidence. Maybe you and Kai'Sa would get along, maybe."

"I wasn't really going to suggest K/DA."

"You will eventually."

I furrow my brow at her, with an awkward chuckle, "Wait... seriously?"

"Come on. We are just going to swing by the studio and then I drop you off at your place."