chapter 33

All the knights gathered at the hugely drawn magic circle. In the middle of that, I tried to ignore Carl's brutal look following me.

"We'll go right now."

Wizards wearing robes gathered magic. I felt that the magic power was condensing.

"Teleport!"

The space twisted with the strong wind.

When I opened my eyes with the unpleasant feeling of spatial movement, I saw a thick forest. I quickly looked around to see if there was anything dangerous, then turned back to Parve.

"Where is here?"

"It's a mountain in the Trache region. If you move diligently today, you'll be able to camp on Mount Harten."

We left the Trache region in the early afternoon, but it was not until evening that we were able to reach Mount Harten.

From the vicinity of Mount Harten, the temperature was significantly lowered by cold weather in the north. There wasn't much moving, except when I pulled a brushed black cloak out of my subspace pocket and put it on, they started talking about taking out tents.

"I think it would be good to camp here."

As the sun began to dip over the ridgeline, Parve looked around and made camp. I narrowed my eyes and looked around me.

'The site itself is fine, but...'

I checked the surrounding leaves and frowned.

"Wouldn't it be better to go a little further and unpack?"

"Hmm? Is there a reason?"

Parve asked with an expression that didn't understand my words. Carl also looked at me. The knights turned their attention to me.

"If you look closely, the leaves on the trees around you are slightly reddish."

"Really?... I see."

"The place where the most frequent Kipira usually stays, which inhabits Mount Harten, the leaves turn red."

"...!"

People opened their mouths as if they were surprised and made a puzzled expression. These details were the information of the mercenaries who had dedicated themselves to defeating the beasts for a long time, so it was only natural that they did not know.

Kipira was a nocturnal beast that lived in groups. The trees around his habitat turned red in leaves because each flap of his wings emitted a red powder that caused hallucinations.

If it's Kipira, it's easy to deal with, but... I don't need to risk any harm.

"Seeing the light red color, it looks like we're far from their main habitat. If we go a little further, I think we can get out of their entire habitat."

I crouched on the ground, picked up a leaf and touched it, but the people's eyes turned to me. I blinked a bit and got up.

"Uh... am I too presumptuous?"

"Oh no. I think it would be nice to do that. But it's the first time I've heard this information even though I studied the beasts quite a bit before the subjugation."

"This is information that is hard to come by without first-hand experience. It's only natural that I know since this is my job."

I responded calmly and gently pulled back on the reins.

"Let's go a little further. There will be a suitable place soon."

Maybe 10 minutes or so, we reached a plain where the leaves of the tree had a normal light. There were few rocks around, so there didn't seem to be any snake-like beasts.

There he helped the knights and we set up a barracks. It was a bit embarrassing because the gentlemen said they didn't know what to do when I reached out to help. After placing items that protruded from the boundless subspace pockets, the surroundings went dark.

A fire was lit in the center of the camp. I sat in a remote spot away from the crowd and stared blankly at the flames.

"Food".

"Oh thanks."

As I looked at the gentlemen being served, Carl approached me with a stew. When I saw that the soup was even in his hand, that he had collapsed next to me, I asked him with a little anxiety.

"...Does the young master also eat this?"

'Did he even know how to cut a steak by himself?'

Honestly, I knew it. All the nobles I have seen were sunfish who thought they would die if they ate the same as the commoners.

Carl sighed having read my subtle expression.

"I don't know what kind of person you thought of me. I'm not the kind of person who can indulge enough in luxury just at camp."

'In the original story, it was you who could become that way...'

Her mouth dropped as she remembered Carl's brutality in the original play. I try to forget the feeling of disparity as I work, but no matter how much I think about it, the current Carl was very different from the original work.

'Does it make sense that the attitude towards people is the same and that Carl has never done anything crazy before?'

After hearing the fact that Carl was with the subjugation, I thought it would be unreasonable for the rumors to get it right, but this was very different from what I expected.

I'm glad Carl wasn't crazy, but...

"Are you a scholar, not a mercenary? I guess you just think all day."

"...Oh."

I woke up from my thoughts thanks to Carl. He still had a careless face, but a slightly frank look.

"You're bored?"

"Do I look like a 5 year old?"

When I asked him, he answered fiercely, showing some hot air.

'Does he look like a child who is sad about not playing...?'

Later I realized that Carl wanted to have a conversation. It was a refreshing act that I couldn't even imagine seeing.

Okay. She now she is only 19 years old...

I realized it.

Carl was my brother, but he couldn't be more mature than me, who lived almost 50 years in total, remembering my previous life, he only lived 19 years. The original Carl driving people crazy was pretty weird, but if you're a normal 19-year-old, it makes sense.

"Maybe. But I'm pretty bored... If it's alright, I'd like young master to talk to me. Do you have any questions about me?"

I thought I had to leave my worries behind and hang out with my half brother. I put the bowl down and looked around Carl.

A gently burning bonfire. The mood of cold chestnuts. The soft scent of Carl tickling her nose. Because I sat apart from the crowd, the surroundings were silent except for noise coming from afar. I loosened the entire length of my body to relax a bit.

"...How did you become a mercenary?"

Likewise, Carl, a bit tired, asked slowly. I wasn't trying to dig up or find out my identity, so I suddenly thought about why I became a really pure mercenary.

"It was for the money."