chapter 28

And the door opened.

A black uniform that squeezes the body tightly. A strong energy that overwhelms the air with mere appearance. A sleepy and threatening environment like a beast. Short dark curly hair. Bright ruby-studded red eyes are glued under sharply raised eyebrows.

Her beautiful face that took my breath away was terrifyingly cold.

"Please be prepared. This is Duke Caesar Krysis."

Caesar Krysis, my father.

Like a wild beast that was tired of life, I faced the sleepy and wide red eyes, radiating a sense of numbness, which made me feel cold in my bones.

"Huh."

Caesar let out a sigh, something like a laugh. His eyes looking at me narrowed. His hard look brought me back to my senses.

"... See you sir, Duke. This is Mir who works as a mercenary."

I dropped to one knee and bent my upper body, but Caesar didn't respond. I looked up anxiously, and slowly blinked and lowered my head.

"...Get up. You can sit down."

After a brief moment, I sat back in my chair, nervously Caesar sat down across from me.

"Then I'll go out."

Catching Caesar's glances with enthusiasm, Taylor bowed to him and left the room. The air in the room where Caesar and I were alone was infinitely heavy.

"You."

Caesar, who was looking at me so overwhelmingly, slowly parted his lips.

"Your eyes are pretty."

"... Yes?"

I doubted my ears, so I hope I misheard, but the correction didn't come back. Caesar just looked at me in silence.

'... Suddenly? Do you praise my eyes?'

Like Taylor, and even Caesar, it was all very strange.

'Do my eyes sell well in a Duke's house? ...'

I heard all kinds of useless thoughts, but no matter how much I thought about it, my eyes weren't pretty.

'They glow strangely an eerie fluorescent pink.'

I was the only one with pink eyes around me. He had heard about it being a strange eye color once or twice, so Caesar's words were very shocking.

"T-Thank you."

However, since it was a compliment, it couldn't be unpleasant. I'm just a commoner mercenary and he was a duke.

While awkwardly expressing my gratitude, Caesar, who looked at me for a while, took a light breath.

"I didn't call you about something unpleasant, so you can relax."

It was still a frozen face, but the effort to ease the tension sounded pretty smooth.

It was frustrating for me to worry that I thought I had to avoid the sword that could fly out from any angle.

'Are the rumors exaggerated? ...'

Naturally tilting her teacup, she looked at Caesar. It was rumored that he was a demon cub trying to destroy this world by selling his soul to the Great Demon King, so it would be even more surprising if the rumor was true. Caesar put down the cup and looked directly at me.

"I called you because I want to ask you something."

"What is?"

His eyes narrowed slightly. I can't even guess what Caesar wanted to ask me. He parted his lips and looked at me.

"Why did you request this mission?"

"Yes?"

Not understanding the gist of the question and bowing his head, Caesar added.

"You may not know that it is difficult to defeat the beasts of the Rouge village. Also, this mission is not well paid. Mir, who is not another mercenary, must have better jobs. What is the reason for requesting this mission?"

'...Are you kidding me as a mercenary?'

Hesitating not knowing what to answer, Caesar added.

"It's not a question to test you. I was just curious about that earlier. Mir the mercenary is a hero who helps defeat evil spirits in villages with no money. Why is he doing that?"

'Did he take an interest in me, before he met me?'

It felt strange that he knew before. In the novel Caesar knew that he was my father and began to be interested, but it was curious that he was interested in the mercenary Mir, not in his daughter.

"It bothers you?"

It was genuine curiosity that fell into Caesar's careless eyes. He didn't seem to understand the very concept of helping people.

'Yes. Why?'

I thought about it again. Why am I living like this?

After a short space, I slowly opened my mouth.

"I'm not sure either."

"... You do not know?"

I nodded heavily.

"I lived a long time, and as a result, I became stronger... After I became stronger, I saw weak people around me. I have seen a village that employs many mercenaries to spend the winter safely every year, and another village who constantly pays the bills due to the inability to hire mercenaries."

The current emperor and the pope were praised, and the capital was always peaceful, but that was not a utopia.

Those who are destined to be marginalized in the form of law. Outlying towns that don't get the support they deserve due to the corruption of the nobles. In a peaceful and praised world, people parted like strangers.

I was one of them.

"The empire high-ups didn't seem interested in them...and I'm not strong enough to pretend I don't see the blood of innocents."

I wonder if it would have been different if I was born in a different world, but I knew that the current world is not the best made for mankind.

Although it was best to be evil, it was not something he agreed with.

"He who has power is responsible for that power. This is what I have to do."

I met Caesar's red eyes.

This was my best thought. To prevent humans from dying in front of me, even though it may not promote world peace. This was the best I could do.