12

Saazish main shaamil,
Saara jahan hai,
Har zaray zaray ki,
Yeh Iljta hai,
O Re Piya,
O Re Piya haye

I run towards baba and I notice that he looked as if he was losing consciousness and he was sweating. This further confirmed my suspicions that he was having a heart attack. I called 911 and they assured me that they were coming and asked me to meanwhile make baba chew aspirin and make sure that he remained conscious. After some time, the paramedics rushed in and baba was lifted and taken to the hospital. I was in the ambulance with him and I couldn't control my tears, because seeing baba vulnerable like this broke me.

Reaching the hospital, he was rushed into the emergency, meanwhile I was to fill out a few forms. After doing all that, I realized that I should call somebody. I called aunty and Saima baaji but they didn't pick up my call. I called up Sania baaji but it was late in England so she didn't pick up. I was debating on whether or not I should contact Henna or not, but I didn't want her to know too much about our family dynamics. I didn't want to be answerable as to when she'd ask me why uncle was hospitalized.

I, then thought about Shehryar, he probably wouldn't pick up my call but it was worth a shot trying. I called him and as expected he didn't pick up. So I left him a message,

"Assalam Alaikum. This is Ayla, baba fainted and I presume that it's a heart attack. He's in Toronto General Hospital and he'd appreciate if you showed up"

Taking a deep breath in, I sent the text and to my surprise it was read almost immediately. I didn't receive amy reply though. I was thinking on what I should do, when my MuslimPro app indicated it was time for Maghreb. I asked around and went to the prayer room. I prayed and cried my heart and soul out for baba's well being because he's been there for me.

After winding up my prayer, I went back to baba's floor when I saw the doctor coming towards me. He confirm that uncle had a heart attack which was triggered by untreated hypertension and stress. He told me that uncle would remain unconscious for a few hours but they'll keep him under observation for a day or two to monitor his health. I was given his prescriptions which contained the medicines to control his blood pressure.

I decided to go and sit in baba's room and recite a few surahs sitting alongside him. I remember when my mom had gotten sick, she had gone into a coma for five days. I was a mess and we'd take turns of staying in the hospital. On the fifth day, I dreamt of my grandmother and she told me to recite Surah Fatiha for my mom's better health. Waking up from the nap, I did recite Surah Fatiha praying for her health and to my surprise, a few hours later ammi woke up. So that's what I did, I kept reciting Surah Fatiha till I got tired and slept uncomfortably on the chair next to uncle's bed.

Shehryar POV

I ran inside the hospital and made my way to the reception area where I asked for my father's details and the doctor dealing with him. I came to know that he was unconscious so I decided to go visit his doctor first. Dr. Mike. He took me inside his office and told me how baba had been ignoring his health all this time and if Ayla hadn't called for help on time, he could've had something serious like a stroke. I made a mental note to thank Ayla for calling for help ASAP.

Walking out of the doctor's office, I started walking towards baba's room. I had received Ayla's text but I didn't see it until after I had wrapped up my meeting. I'm glad that she didn't wait for any of us to respond and took baba straight to the hospital herself. Reaching his door, I opened it to find Ayla sleeping in the most uncomfortable position ever. If she didn't change her position she'd for sure have a strained neck.

I lightly tapped her shoulder but she didn't budge, I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to disturb baba. So I put my hand on her shoulder to wake her up, but she woke up herself, staring at me as if I'm alien. I didn't know what to say to her so I just indicated her with my hand it to come outside and she just stood there wide eyed. Finally, as if she understood what I was trying to say, she nodded and walked out of the room, with me following her. I caught up to her indicated towards the cafeteria, she went and sat on a table and I went and got two coffees with some cookies. We just sat there awkwardly sipping our coffees for five minutes until I decided to say something

"Assalam Alaykum Ayla. Woh I wanted to uh thank you for promptly taking baba to the hospital" I said.

"WA Salam. There's no need to thank me, I only did what any other human would do" she said, giving me a very curt and clipped response.

This was then followed by a moment of silence, in which she finished her coffee and was getting up. I wanted to tell her everything, I wanted to tell apologize to her for being stuck in this mess and helping her to find a way out but I couldn't do any such thing until and unless we were on talking terms. Right when she was to turn away, I voiced out

"Henna told me that you're going to college, that's really nice, if you need any financial help just tell me" I said.

To which I heard a scoff and say,
"jab zaroorat thi tab kabhi madad nahin ki, anyway, I don't need your help, I'm in on a scholarship that covers everything and for the rest of the money, I've gotten a job as a barista in the coffee shop at college"
(When I actually needed you, you never showed up, anyway, I don't need your help, I'm in on a scholarship that covers everything and for the rest of the money, I've gotten a job as a barista in the coffee shop at college)

And she walked away, leaving me shocked to the core, because she was totally not the girl, I had met at our wedding five months ago.

A/N: Belated Eid Mubarik!! I have been super busy with my upcoming exams so I apologize if I'm making you wait for the update.
Anyway, don't forget to vote, comment and follow! I love y'all mwahhhh!!!