3

Mai teri bahon ke
Jhoole me pali babul
Ja rahi hoon chod ke
Teri gali babul

My father came and nodded at me with tears and I knew it was time for my rukhsati. A lot of people don't talk about this reality of life but, in my opinion, they should. A girl has to leave the house she's grown up in, the people she's familiar with to go live with some family who she is completely alien with.

I tried to control my tears and appeared to be strong when my mom came and hugged me, that's when I broke down, she kissed my forehead and told me

"Meri jaan! stay strong aur agar hou sakay tou humain maaf kar dena"
(My love! Please stay strong and if  its possible, forgive us)

I took a deep breath and kissed her on the forehead. I knew that I had to stay strong for them, I can't breakdown in front of them. I need to be happy for them. So, I just smiled at my family and maintaining that smile, I went and sat in the car, without looking back, because one look back and I know that I would run back to them. Once the car started moving, I broke down. Looking up, I thought my so-called husband would console me, but guess what? He wasn't even in the car, my mother in law was sitting next to me. I felt lost, hurt, and confused all at the same time.

Reaching their home, in Pakistan, I was escorted to my husband's room. It was full of rose petals and it was beautifully decorated. My mother in law told me to sit on the bed and wait for my husband to come. Apparently, he had something from work that he couldn't ignore and had to take care of it. She told me that he would back in about half an hour. Sitting on the bed, dressed as someone's bride, I looked back at the day, my life changed.

Flashback starts:

Eight months ago

"Ammi abbu! guess what I have amazing news for you!", I said, running inside the house. "Hosla karo meri jaan! Pehlay yeh mithai tou kha lou", Ammi said
(Calm down, my love! First, have these sweets)

Picking up my favorite from the box, obviously a rasgulla, I put it in my mouth and I told my parents the news

"Ammi mera London College of Fashion main admission hou gaya hai, it's extremely hard to get in, but aapki beti nay bohat mehnat ki hai iskay liye", I told them.
(Mom, I got into London College of Fashion, its got a high acceptance rate and I worked really hard to get in)

They both didn't say a word and simply nodded. Then, after a two-minute pause, abbu spoke up,

"Aylu you know that we can't afford this right? With your ammi's on going treatments, we can't afford to finance your education anymore"

I looked at them, with utter shock, they knew how much getting into this college meant to me. They can't shatter my dreams like this, maybe this is a prank.

"BAHAHAH nice joke ammi abbu, if you can't finance this, then yeh mithai kis cheez kay liye, I know that school walon nay aapko call kar kay bata diya tha, iss tarah mujhe daraya na karain", I breathed out laughing.
(BAHAHAH nice joke mom and dad. If you can't finance this, then why did you make me eat these sweets, I know the school administration called you and told you about this, don't scare me like this again)

"Beta yeh mithai, aapkay admission kay liye nahi hai, humnay aapka Canada main rishta pakka kar diya hai. Larka aapsay thora bara hai aur woh kuch mahinon main aa kay nikkah kar kay aapko lay jain gay", said Abbu.
(These sweets aren't for your admission. We have arranged your marriage in Canada. The guy is a little bit older to you and they'll be coming to Pakistan in a few months for the nikkah and they'll take you alongside them.)

I felt as if my entire world shattered within a few seconds.

Flashback ends

I was brought out of my thoughts when the grandfather clock in the house started ringing, indicating its 12 am and its been 3 hours since my husband hasn't returned. I didn't know what to do so, so I discovered my way around the room, found a comfortable pair of pajamas and got ready for bed.

The next morning

I woke up with an alarm blaring in my ears, I groaned out loud screaming, "ammi bas 5-minute aur sonay dain", but instead of ammi, I was greeted by my husband's voice that snapped me back to reality. The entirety of yesterday came back to me.
(Mom just let me sleep for 5 more minutes)

"Apkay parents neechay half an hour say wait kar rahay hain, jaldi tayyar hou jain, main neechay jaa raha houn", saying that he walked out of the door. I quickly, got up and went to take a shower and took out a green and fawn shalwar kameez and wore it. I applied minimal makeup, because I was already running late. I literally ran downstairs to find my parents and sister waiting for me. I was almost in tears and I hugged them tightly, not wanting to let go.
(Your parents are downstairs and they've been waiting for half an hour.  Get ready quickly, I'm going downstairs now)

  Get ready quickly, I'm going downstairs now)

The breakfast wasn't too eventful but soon after it and I was told since my in-laws were mainly going to be in Canada, the walima would be held there and my flight to Canada was in three days. My mother in law forcefully sent me back to my parents' place and told me to come to the airport, three days later, directly from there.