15

‹a new addition›

YEJI

     "You're not gonna believe what I heard," I overheard a skinny girl with pigtails say beside me. "Even I can't believe I had to take a double-take while asking. I don't know who said it, but I swear it's the truth!"

I glanced at my phone. Hell, they didn't even see my messages. Where are they anyway?!

     "...shut your trap. You are so embarrassing!"

Not only am I annoyed by how others murmured as they walked past me— I'm not even the one making the damn noise. Two girls from our school took the empty table beside me and began to talk loudly.

I sighed.

     "You are so cranky!"

I leaned back and glanced outside, looking out for Chaeryeong and Yuna. We were supposed to meet at 1 pm, and now, I am fed up with their crap at 2:38 pm.

     "Enough. Come on, tell me!"

     "So I was passing by when I heard..."

Shameless kids entertain themselves with gossip. How fun, but not for me. I tidied up my things and was about to stand when I heard something that made me sit back in total curiosity.

     "... that Ryujin-unnie?"

Why are they talking about her?

I positioned myself correctly, immediately engrossed by their talk.

     "Yes! Ryujin-unnie rejected an upperclassman..."

I sadly chuckled, seeing I was not the only one rejected.

     "I've heard tons of things like that... what makes you think this is shocking?"

     "Because! She gave a legit reason, Tiff!"

The sudden outburst gave me a mild shake.  That girl truly got power in her voice.

     "A what, now?"

     "She turned down an upperclassman."

     "And...?"

     "She's in love with someone else."

Love?

     "You know what this means?!"

     "Just spill who it is, Brie."

     "Name unknown, I didn't stay long enough to hear. So I asked my friend about it, but sadly, she didn't figure out who. Though the word is that Shin Ryujin's in love with a volleyball player— a pretty one, they say."

     "Do you think it's that girl..."

     "I heard this way back, and I knew there was something between them. The way they were super close during the first weeks of school."

My chest tightened at the thought of Ryujin loving someone who wasn't me. How lucky would the person she loves be?

     "There could be only one."

     "Hwang Yeji."

All bodily motions left me as I stared mindlessly at my hands, hearing my name from their talk.

     "Another thing is..."

     "Enough with your long-ass pause, Tiff!"

     "You got no thrill, seriously."