13

‹a new addition›

MINJEONG

     "Thank you for your stay, Miss."

I cringed once again, taking one last look at her. "I told you not to call me that, Sakura."

She appeared calm. "That was me at work, and now..." she spread her arms, and I had to embrace her back. "You done running away from her?"

     "Shut up," I scrunched my nose as I pulled back. "You know better what I came here for."

     "Yeah, to run away. But seriously, she still hasn't recognized you?"

With a good-natured scoff, I turned my back on her. "Till next time, Sakura."

     "There you go again... avoiding the question. Whatever! Be safe, Miss Kim Minjeong!"

Whether or not she remembers me, I won't tell her. Never will I break a promise to me over those years. I learned the hard way, and I can't bring myself to break one - I need to protect..., myself.

People leave, and I learned that truth at a young age. Friends and family all left me alone. One, who I thought honestly stayed, was nothing but fake. Two, who I loved, never said goodbye. Three, who promised, broke it time and again. Four, who gave me happy endings, gave me the reality that nothing in life will ever end happily.

The time I strolled around with just no one following me, I was glad. It meant Jennie worked fast. My news, winning and being back, wasn't known yet. I still have things to do, and I need to delay it as much as possible.

It's a Saturday morning, and I'm at the mall with Jennie's female classmate. The reason, I don't know. She didn't even bother telling me.

It wasn't the first time this happened. Earlier at dawn, out of all rooms in that vast house, she picked mine and woke me up. Quote, and I quote, "I need help! I don't want to be alone with her later on! Minejong, please?!" End quote.

Fucking great.

I must be insane to agree to come here with her. And now she brought me for the heavy lifting. Junkyu would've been a good choice, but that kid was sleeping too heavily. Also, he didn't know I was back. I kept it a secret from the family; Jennie's an exception.

     "Min, can you hold this," she handed me another bag. "Hang on. I saw a pretty bag over there."

She ran off like a toddler to who knows where-leaving me alone with a nameless stranger. I was tired from walking around the crowded place.

This felt deja vu.

     "You're her lil sis?" asked the stranger.

     "Why are you asking? Lisa-unnie's my final pick if this is what it's all about."

She furrowed her brow, and soon after, understanding fell. "What? No, do you think I'm a suitor of Jennie?"

I glanced around. "I'm in Lisa's favor."

She held up her hand to me, sighing. "I'll hold that one for you."