Chapter 68

She thought about Steward Wang’s death. If her conjecture was correct, then she should be in a state of danger. How should this disaster be dealt with? With Lu Piao Xiang’s capability, killing a few commoners was incredibly easy, but she could not have him kill the other without reason and must first find an excuse.

Ruan Zhu’s expression was complicated, and her eyes were filled with exhaustion. Her lips faintly pressed against each other as she thought of how she should bring up this matter with her Lord Husband. It didn’t matter if that man was or wasn’t Hai’er; he was still a threat to her.

“Wife, do you have something on your mind?” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi saw that her eyebrows were tightly knit, and he sat down next to the bed, picking up both her and the brocade quilt with his large hands that were like palm-leaf fans and placing her on his lap.

“That Zhao Hai is Lu Yin Ge’s great master of tea manufacturing, but I don’t know why he killed Steward Wang. I just so happened to pass by and saw that he wanted to silence him. Fortunately, I promptly escaped to be able to to save this life.” Was this excuse considered incredibly lousy? But it was truly the most rational pretext Ruan Zhu could think of presently: “Steward Wang was previously Eldest Cousin’s steward but was later kicked out by me because he gambled.”

“En, I have previously heard Elder Jia mentioning an Accountant Wang that had set up the tables. He had said that not long after the man had arrived in the capital, he had somehow made a name for himself. Who would have thought he would unexpectedly be killed by the master tea maker?”

Ruan Zhu’s eyebrows curved upwards as she gazed at him, a little puzzled: “Isn’t Elder Jia your father?” Recalling how the servants called him ‘Prince,’ uneasiness suddenly formed in her heart. As the number one of out Lan Zhou’s famous Four Great Misters, it was very possible that Lu Piao Xiang, whose reputation spread out far and wide, was not that simple.

The corner of Xuanyuan Zong Zhi’s mouth lightly rose and he smiled: “Regardless of my origin, it will never be something that can hurt you. After two days when you have recovered, I will explain everything. Right now, do not let your imagination wild; it is more important to overcome this illness.”

Ruan Zhu’s two thin and straight eyebrows slightly wrinkled as she reluctantly agreed. Speaking so much, her throat once again burned with pain so she waited for a moment before lowly saying: “My intuition is saying that I am very familiar with Zhao Hai’s appearance. He appears to be the son of the Yun family’s Fifth Concubine-Father Zhao. If so, he has stayed in Eldest Cousin’s Tian Yi Pavilion before and perhaps thee was some discord for him to then run to the capital.”

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi felt that his wife seemed to be afraid of this man called Zhao Hai and comforted her: “You are now my wife. Even if there are ten Zhao Hai’s, I will have him completely disappear.”

Ruan Zhu was not that satisfied with that answer. What she wanted was for that man to immediately disappear, without any opportunity for him to live and to not discover her secret and blab about it before his death. Since having Zhi Xi, she had started to especially cherish life and was unwilling for her son to be like her–without a mother at an early age. She wanted to see her child grow up every day under her love and nurture, until the day he wed a wife, had a child, and settled down.

Since it was more inconvenient for her Lord Husband, she would continue thinking.

As she was currently being hugged by him along with the quilt, she was soon covered in sweat. Ruan Zhu protested playfully: “Are you trying to take someone’s life on such a sweltering summer day? It’s too hot.”

“You have not yet recovered from your illness so care must be taken.” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi thought for a moment before freeing her arms from within the blankets: “I have sent men to bring Zhi Xi and Nuan Chun and the others over. It is possible they may be on the road right this moment.”