Chapter 42

The meaning of ji zhou was ‘one was willing to wait upon your distinguished self’; furthermore, one was also willing to clean and sanitize–that is, forming a stable tie between partners, living our lives together, mutually helping each other in humble circumstances.[a]

Ruan Zhu was momentarily stupefied. If the other had thrown such an explosive bomb under the circumstances where his qualifications and personality were not bad and she was an unmarried virgin maiden, she really might have considered it.

Right now she wanted to say–Big Brother, I already have a hubby–and opened her mouth, but this excuse was obviously useless. The other person, Mister Lu, did not ask you to only accept him, and also did not ask to have a fling. He did not have such a black conscience like Chen Shi Mei.[b]

“If Madam is willing, Piao Xiang is happy to become a secondary husband, attending to and following you, willingly serving you. If Madam is unwilling, becoming a small attendant or a bedwarmer is also perfectly acceptable with absolutely no objections.”

He has already said it to such an extent. What would be the best thing for her to do?

Good men had disappeared in her previous society. It had been after she had transmigrated and was carefully cherished by the two Yun brothers that she felt that she was actually precious and treasured.

Lu Piao Xiang was truly straightforward and had characteristics of Second Sister You[c] from 《Dream of the Red Chamber》–simple; direct; if one had something to say, they’d say it; talented and good looking. How could this kind of man not tempt women? What a pity her heart was already taken.

“Cough cough……Mister Lu……that, being a secondary husband is not that good of a position. With your distinguished self and name, Mister could become a principal husband of any large family. There is no need to bear this shame. Furthermore, would not your parents oppose this, correct?”

“My parents cannot manage my affairs; only I can control my own destiny.”

“This……The way you do things makes it difficult for me.” Distressed, Ruan Zhu stepped back two steps, as if afraid that if they came into contact, she would be unable to cleanly cast him aside: “My hubby……ahem……the Head of my family is currently out on business, I cannot do things that would let him down, may Mister please understand.”

“I know and I understand. If I do become Madam’s secondary husband, I vow to never surpass his authority and also will not give you worries. You can be at ease, I have very few requests. I only wish to constantly remain by your side and that will be enough.”

“You actually think this way, but why?” She looked at him in perplexity. Could it be that loving a person meant you did not need to have all of them?

“I am impatient towards those empty things such as matchmakers and appropriate matches. Being a principal husband is good and being a secondary husband is fine. An attendant or a bedwarmer is also not a big matter. They’re merely positions to strive for in this meaningless and boring life.” Lu Piao Xiang’s youthful and handsome face was currently glowing with a bright dignity, his eyes glinting with something that could be called love: “I only know that in this vast sea of people, I met you. Only you truly understand me and know my thoughts and understand my frame of mind when I play the guqin. I feel as if you are another me, the other half of my soul that I had accidentally lost. Only when I am bound to you will my life be regarded as complete.”

Ruan Zhu was thoroughly struck dumb.

From those webnovels she had read before, genuinely loving a person meant giving them the best, not to demand it from them! She had always thought it was the author trying to deceive girls and had viewed it as something that was impossible to exist in real life. There would also never be that sort of good man with those qualities. But the man in front of her had completely struck down that kind of thinking. She thought of Yun Shi Yi. Both men were the same–good men that were the most deserving of being dearly loved by a woman.