Chapter 25: Reorganizing

Yun Shi Yi was not a person that played a critical role[a] in Lan Zhou, but nevertheless, in the merchant circle, all who heard his distinguished name greatly admired him and would give him a big thumbs up in approval. At only twenty-some years old, he had the ability to earn who knew how many-fold more than the young heirs of rich families who survived by relying on the path built by their forefathers, could in a day.

But now his full-blooded little brother actually had no prospects and wanted to go work in the docks to haul sacks around. This was simply mocking him.

Up til now, the two brothers hadn’t yet eaten their evening meal but neither of them were willing to get up. Rather, they only wanted to cuddle their beloved woman.

The servants were well aware they should not disturb their masters and placed the dishes that the kitchen had already prepared inside pots to preserve heat.

Finally at midnight, Ruan Zhu woke up and accompanied the two in eating a few bites. But not long after, she collapsed on the bed again and returned to the ‘God of Dreams’, the Duke of Zhou.[b]

She was truly exhausted.

She continued sleeping until noon the next day. With the sun shining brightly inside the room, she finally got up. The Yun brothers had already left as they were both busy with their own matters so she was the only one in the bedroom. Nuan Chun carried a bowl of water inside and attended to her as she freshened up. She picked out a snowy white silk skirt that dragged on the ground and paired it with a diaphanous muslin cape of the same color. Both pieces were long enough to reach the ground and the entire effect was unspeakably graceful.

Nuan Qing served up all the breakfast dishes, and it was a very luxurious spread. There were seven or eight exquisite small dishes as well as two soups that she didn’t know the names of but was positive there was more to them than meets the eye.

“Master said Miss’s body is weak, so before he left this morning, he specially instructed the kitchen to make Eight-Treasure Decoction and Ten Supplements Tonic for Miss to drink to enrich her body.”

Recalling how she had fainted in the bedroom last night, Ruan Zhu thought of how Yun Shi Yi must have felt guilty. She glumly labeled herself as useless. This period had many males but few females. How exactly did the women with so many husbands serve them all? It couldn’t be that they were all like her, so immature as to always faint, right?

Finishing the meal, Nuan Chun and Nuan Qing accompanied her as she sat in Yaoguang Courtyard’s main reception hall to receive Steward Wang’s account of the residence’s financial state.

Because Steward Wang was skilled in bookkeeping, not only did he supervise the household duties, but Yun Shi Yi also appointed him to manage the residence’s accounts.

Ruan Zhu randomly picked up a ledger to scrutinize from the pile of reports in front of her. But what she saw recorded on every page was, on X Year X Month X Day, this was the amount used to buy food and grain, this was the total amount of expenses spent on this day, and this was how much each servant’s monthly payment was.

After looking at the numbers for a while, Ruan Zhu began to feel light-headed and dizzy and golden cartoon stars seemed to swirl around her head. Massaging her temples, she sighed in dismay. How the ancients managed their bookkeeping was indeed a big issue. If this kind of account book was to be seen by one of those big bosses in the current era, not only would the one in charge of accounting be scolded to death, they’d also be sacked.

“Steward Wang, is this how you’ve always kept the accounts?”

“What’s the matter, Mistress? It’s not that this one, Wang, wants to brag, but I am the master of accounting in Lan Zhou and reckoned to be first or second best. How many large restaurants and large businesses have asked me to be their account manager? But they’ve all been declined by me, ah ha. Who is this Wang, ah? I, of course, am Lan Zhou’s top ranked accountant and not just anyone can invite me for my expertise. If they request me, even if I don’t have a palanquin with eight carriers, I should still have one with four carriers, right?[c] What was that, that account book thing, it’s not me brag……”