Chapter 67

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi gently stroked his wife’s back, the expression on his face both delighted and distressed: “It’s all right now. You are in your own home and there will be no one to bully you.”

Own home? Ruan Zhu looked at her surroundings, her eyes full of doubt. The room that she was staying in was unspeakably luxurious and could be encapsulated in the four words ‘The Gem of Life.’[a] Famous calligraphy hung on the walls; Ru ware was placed on the tables; even the small ornaments on the tables and the hooks on the bed to hold the red muslin curtains were manufactured with gold.

The bedding was made of cloud brocade from Jiang Nan and were embroidered with large red tree peony blooms. Cloud brocade was extremely precious, and the majority of people used them to make clothes; it was quite rare to see one use it as a quilt.

“This is not my home.” She looked at Xuanyuan Zong Zhi, her eyes full of questions.

“This is my home, so it is also your home.” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi noted that his wife’s still-pale lips yet remained full and captivating and couldn’t help but to pull her closer for a kiss. His actions were very gentle as he was afraid of hurting her. Sucking on her tongue, he could feel that her internal temperature seemed to have returned to normal, and his heart eased. After a long kiss, he lamented: “Fortunately, you are all right. It was my fault. Everything would have been fine if I had assigned a few imperial bodyguards who knew martial arts to protect you.”

“You don’t need to blame yourself; it was me who was at fault. Who could have thought that would happen?” She extended her hand to caress his chin, and the places she touched were pricked by stubble. He had previously paid very close attention to his appearance; unexpectedly, even the thought of taking care of his facial hair hadn’t crossed his mind.

“Those bailiffs and jailers should die. I will not let them go.” He would definitely have them pay the price. They dared to harm the Prince of Qi’s most important person. Even if the other was the Emperor, who cares? He would still spare no effort.

“Bailiffs are all like that.” She sighed. In her previous world, there was even the incident of playing hide-and-seek! What’s more, in the ancient era, one was captured with one’s name and the others would not give up until one’s fortune was completely gone. Fortunately, Elder Jia had sent some money, otherwise she would be even more out of luck.

“You have become hungry, correct? I will have some servants send some dishes over.” Last night while she was still unconscious, he had fed her half a bowl of porridge as he had thought it was best for her to eat a little since she was pregnant with his child.

“No appetite.” Her body was soft, as if she was floating among the clouds, while her head still felt extremely heavy. Speaking these few words with him had already made her tired.

“You must eat a bit otherwise it will not be good for the child.” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi became solemn. Seeing she felt unwell, he moved her from within his arms to on top of the pillow.

“The child is still in the Ruan residence. The majestic general is speaking incoherently yet is not afraid of others laughing at him.” Ruan Zhu mocked him. She had said too much and her throat was extremely painful, leading to a fit of violent coughing that made breathing difficult and caused her face to flush completely red.

“All right, all right, do not speak anymore. When your illness has become better, you can speak for three days and three nights if you prefer, but right now you cannot.” Xuanyuan Min Zhi pat his wife’s back, hoping it could help relieve some of her suffering.

“Isn’t it all because of you……” Ruan Zhu pointed at him.

“I know, all right, don’t speak anymore.” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi hurriedly cut her off and yelled outside the bedroom: “Qu Gao, instruct the kitchen to send in the meal.”