Chapter 2: Awake

Once she found herself lying in a man’s embrace on a wide bed, her eyes displayed an expression of surprise and bewilderedness.

Crossing over on top of a bed and being held by unfamiliar men, could she have transmigrated into their wife? Shifting her eyes, the shape of another man came into view. Immediately, she became so scared that her face turned white…NP?[a] Did she transmigrate into a brothel?

There was no doubt that she’s crossed over to an ancient period as the room’s furnishings could prove the era.

This body was not hers. Although it was a tender and beautiful figure, it was evident she was not yet fully grown, probably around fourteen or fifteen years old? So it turns out people in ancient times really did marry young! Furthermore, her own body had short hair but this current body had a head of long, silky black hair.

It must be that her soul had transmigrated as she remembered the scene of her death. A cement block that fell from a bridge caused her body to be smashed to bits. In a split second, her soul was ejected and fluttered to and fro. When she regained consciousness, it was on this bed and she was being held by two men…Turns out the past long lovemaking wasn’t a dream, and it was also the moment when she crossed over.

She raised her arm to free herself from the man’s arm that encircled her chest. But less than a second later, that arm came back down to its original spot.

Shaking her head, she decided to ignore the arm. Although she had only 18 years of intelligence, over the course of growing up in loneliness due to her mother’s early death, she had become precocious and was more mature than her peers. After calming her emotions, she started organizing her way of thinking and realized there seemed to be something extra hidden in her brain that wasn’t hers but belonged to the original owner. The memories weren’t complete–they were broken into small pieces but would still be useful to collect information.

The original name of the body was Ruan Zhu, which only differed by her name of Qin Zhu by one character.[b] Fine, since I’ll be using your body, I’ll use your identity to live from now on, so today onward, I’ll just go by Ruan Zhu!

The two men beside her are Ruan Zhu’s elder cousins. It was a relationship between the children of two siblings resulting in a marriage among close relatives. The poor girl gained two husbands at one time. No wonder after serving them, she kicked the bucket.

The country’s name is Tian Chu and hundreds of years ago, a natural disaster changed peoples’ physiology. The female population dwindled and as the ratio between males and females increasingly grew disproportionately in males’ favor, more and more men were destined to be bachelors for the rest of their lives. Fertility rates plummeted causing the population size to substantially decrease and the national power to weaken. As a result, experts vigorously promoted a “one woman, multiple husbands” system.[c]

Even though it was still a male-dominated society, in order to increase the population size and to allow males the right to marry, a national law was passed, stipulating all females must marry at least five males and birth at least two children to each husband.

The passing of this law meant that women have become fertility machines. Fortunately, the chance of having twins or other multiple births is high. In fact, the two men lying next to her just so happen to be twins. Using the hazy moonlight streaming through the window, Ruan Zhu looked the brothers up and down. The facial outline is unmistakably sharp and angular; figure is tall, straight, and full of hidden strength; overall appearance is handsome and spirited.

Fortunately, this is the type she likes.

A woman’s status in the household is very high–this part isn’t bad. She’s definitely not willing to be bossed around by men in this world.