Chapter 66

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi hugged his wife as he urged his horse towards his prince’s residence. He directly entered the main residence, Wang You Hall, and ran into the bedroom.

Placing her on top of the brocade bed, he looked towards that unconscious face, his heart besieged by fear and dread. He had never felt this emotion before, even when he had been plotted against by his elder brother during his childhood. But now……In his eyes, there was a large trace of panic that had never been there before. He had never even imagined that something would happen to her in the two days he was gone.

All of a sudden, he jumped up and rushed to the door, bellowing: “Why has the imperial physician not come yet?!”

The imperial bodyguard on duty very rarely saw his Master losing his temper like this. The head of the imperial bodyguards, Nangong Xun, walked over and cupped his hands in salute: “A trip to and from the imperial hospital is not that fast. Prince does not need to worry. Princess has become unconscious from a fever; however, placing some ice cubes on Princess’s forehead will help alleviate the temperature quite a bit.”

Worry leaked out from Xuanyuan Zong Zhi’s eyes and he shouted towards two palace eunuchs who walked over from the opposite hall carrying water to wash one’s face with: “Qu Gao and He Gua, the two of you quickly go to the cellar and return with some shaved off ice. You must hurry. If you are late by one step, twenty hits with the cane; late by two steps, neither of you need to use your legs to walk in the future as having them is useless so they might as well be chopped off.”

The two palace eunuch’s faces were ashen. Placing the basins of water on the ground, they chased after each other in their hurry to bring back ice cubes.

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi thought about how his wife’s clothes were dirty and if she knew, she would immediately become distressed. He instructed the bodyguard on duty: “Carry some water inside the bedroom then go buy several good looking female outfits outside. They must be on the simple and neat side.”

He was unwilling to allow other people to touch her and personally looked after his wife. Taking off that raggedy and dusty sackcloth, he used a moist towel to scrub her body. When he went to wipe her feet, he discovered that the sole of her tiny feet were covered in blisters. Finding some sewing needles, he popped each one with trembling fingers, his distress incapable of increasing even more.

Finishing with these things, he dressed her in his own white silk night clothes. At this time, Qu Gao and He Gua fetched over the ice cubes and he wrapped a few in a towel before placing them on her forehead.

There was nothing else after that. Xuanyuan Zong Zhi was unable to sit or stand still and after waiting for another spell, two imperial bodyguards finally rushed into Wang You Hall, leading an imperial physician. The person was familiar at a glance; it was precisely the one who had treated Ruan Zhu several months prior–Imperial Physician Zhang. His eyes immediately brightened as he knew this man’s medical skills were good. He pulled at Imperial Physician Zhang’s hand: “Elder, quickly come save my wife.”

Imperial Physician Zhang saw that there was a sixteen year old married lady laying in the bed, her face completely scarlet and her lips so red it seemed as if drops of blood would spill out. With one glace, it was obvious she was running a high fever and it was also extremely serious. This Madam, he had seen before. Because of her, he had even had to personally travel to Yu Zhou in the middle of the night.

“Quickly feel her pulse, ah!” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi saw that the other was leisurely taking their time, and he became indignant.

“Do not be so hurried, this little moment will not matter.” Imperial Physician Zhang had become acquainted with this Royal Highness a few months ago and knew that his character was not wicked. He placed his hand on top of Ruan Zhu’s wrist and closed his eyes while contemplating for a while before shaking his head: “How could this happen so quickly?”