Chapter 38

Harry's POV

As we drive home, Sage lays her head on the center console. I smile to myself. "You're going to fall asleep aren't you?"

"I'm wide awake, I don't know what you're talking about." She mumbles, eyebrow furrowing.

I shake my head and rest my hand in her hair. "I'll wake you up when we get home."

"I already told you, I'm wide awake."

"Mmm we'll see about that. Give it 5 minutes and you'll be out like a light. I know you."

Sage lazily sits up and tries to focus her eye on the road ahead. "Wide awake."

A laugh leaves my mouth, "okay okay you're awake. Lay back down, I want to play with your hair."

She gives me a look before laying her head back down. "Can I put on the piano songs?"

My heart beats a little faster as she reaches for my phone. "Yeah you can play whatever you want, sunshine."

"I like when your fingers do the little" her fingers act like they're playing, "on my head. It feels nice."

I feel my cheeks heat up. I didn't realize I still did that. Scarlet brought it to my attention when she was around, I had made an effort to try and stop. It's not that she ever said outwardly that she didn't like it, but after she brought it I noticed she would move away. Sage likes it.

The closer I get to her the more it becomes obvious how truly different they are. When I first met her, all I could see was Scarlett. Scarlett was always very aware of her role as the old man's daughter. She held her head high and made sure to make herself known. I thought Sage was the same, but I was far off.

Sage doesn't need to make herself known, she just is. She walks into the room and it just fills with blinding light. She is the sun. She doesn't worry about making people look at her. They just do. She holds a power that Scarlett couldn't have hoped for. Sage knows she is powerful and she's not afraid to make you bow to her.

Scarlett never had to fight to stay alive. Sage fights everyday. That's the biggest difference. Sage refuses to go down without a fight. I don't think Scarlett had that drive. At least not as fierce as Sage. When she was dying, all she could say was that it's okay. I know it was meant to be comforting, but it wasn't okay. She died and I wasn't okay. I had to go on without her. I had to wash her blood off my hands. Watch her be buried. Watch her father run away. I was alone with just the ghost of her. It's not okay.

I sigh and look down at Sage. Her breaths are heavy, she's definitely asleep. It's still not okay what happened, but I'm better now. Sage has taught me a lot. Life is a choice we make every day. I still intend to avenge Scarlett, but I can understand now. She was done fighting and that is okay. That's what she was trying to tell me. Not that the situation was okay, but she was. She was at peace with her death.

Bright headlights shine in my eyes from the rear view mirror. I squint my eyes and speed up a little to try and put some distance between this asshole. We're in the city now. There's so many other lanes, but that's not the goal is it? Fuck me.

I take my hand off of Sage's head and gently shake her shoulder. Keep an eye on the car. I try to switch lanes and still they follow. This isn't going to be pretty.

"Sage, darling, I need you to sit up. We've got company." I say, hoping I don't sound harsh.

"5 more minutes please." She mumbles, swatting my hand away.

"I really wish I could, but I really need you awake and sitting up." At this point I'm practically begging her. I don't want to scare her but I can't risk her getting hurt. I don't know what this car is planning.