Chapter 25

Sam, Kira and I sat around talking about nothing for a couple more hours before Kira decided to kick us out. She joked saying we were cutting into her "me time." I think that's a load of bullshit but I was ready to go home. We talked to Milly and I don't think I've been more relieved to see her shining smile. She told us that her mom finally agreed to let her be homeschooled and I got to break the news that I would be coming over to teach art. She screamed so loud with joy a nurse came in and yelled at her. Of course she paid no mind, but she did end up having to hang up.

"So do you have any plans now?" Sam asks as he walks me to my car.

"Uh I think I might be seeing a friend. I'm not completely sure, he's still at a work meeting." I answer, glancing at my phone. Louis hasn't answered. Harry hasn't texted either.

Sam shifts uncomfortably, "Well until you get an answer, would you like to go for a walk?"

"Yeah. I think the fresh air would be good." I say shoving my phone into my bag.

"There's a park just up the street. We should probably drive to it, it's a little further than walking distance." He says pointing down the street.

"Okay, do you want to take your car or mine?" I ask.

"We can take mine. Come on." He says walking over to his car.

I follow behind. He walks around to his side and hops in. He doesn't open my door. I laugh to myself. Of course he doesn't. Normal people don't open doors for people. Harry is just weird. Louis too. I sigh, I miss him. I just want him to answer me. It's been hours. I don't want it to be like this.

"You okay?" Sam asks as we back out of the parking lot.

"Yeah I'm good I just have a lot on my mind, don't worry." I reassure him. He doesn't need to worry about me.

"You're lying." He says, giving a small smile.

"Yeah, but I don't want you to worry about me."

"I always worry about you, Parker." He mutters under his breath. He doesn't say anything else and I don't plan to say anything. I don't even know how to respond to that. I don't know if I like this idea anymore.

We pull into the parking lot. It's a quiet day, not too many people around. I can feel the anxiety start in my chest. In all the years I've known Sam we've never really hung out alone. He would always hang around while I worked, there's never been this one on one time. Whenever he's asked I've always made an excuse. I never liked being alone with men. I guess hanging around the boys has already changed me. Still the nerves haven't gone anywhere.

One, two , one, two, one. It's just Sam, we're okay. I have Harry's knife. I sigh and smile to myself, happy I brought it with me.

Sam makes his way out of the car and I follow after. He gives me a smile which I return. I have his knife, I'm okay.

"So there's a pond just over that hill, wanna head there?" Sam asks, walking over to me. He stands close and I fight the urge to move away. It's just Sam I need to calm down.

"Yeah that sounds good." I say with a nod before walking in that direction. I don't want him to offer a hand or whatever.

He follows behind me and all I can think about is how different he is. I don't know why I'm comparing him to Harry. I shouldn't compare them. Obviously they're nothing alike. Sam isn't in a gang. He's a cop... who has no idea what I do in my spare time.

He makes no effort to try and touch me, just walks with his hands in his pockets. I take a breath and look around. I shouldn't spend so much time worrying. Life is beautiful here. It's open and full of loving people. I should choose to see that while I can. I feel a buzz in my bag, I quickly pull out my phone to see a text from Louis.