hyunjin's real type

hyunjin abruptly turned to face him. "my ideal type?" he said, his voice uncharacteristically firm. his eyes sparkled with something that minho could interpret as a mixture of annoyance and stubbornness. "my ideal type, minho," he repeated, emphasizing every word, "is a blonde, blue-eyed, sweet girl who is younger than me!" the last word was half-yelled, as he continued to maintain the intense eyecontact between them.

minho blinked. hyunjin's ideal type was literally minho's complete opposite. this had to be a joke, right?

except that hyunjin looked dead serious. minho's heart shattered.

the heartbreak was immediately followed by anger, hot and cold at the same time, that filled every inch of his body. he stood up calmly, towering over the sitting hyunjin, and just as calmly turned to the director and said, in a calm voice: "please, cut what i'm going to say from now on out."

only then did he turn on hyunjin. "what the actual fuck?" he yelled at the younger, shaking him by his shoulders. "so all your mixed signals meant nothing? you were just leading me on the whole time?" he paused to run a hand through his hair in frustration and let out a disbelieving laugh. "did you fuckin' have an idea that i–" he paused, remembering where he was, but one glance at hyunjin's face made him see red again. "that i've loved you since predebut? did you?"

hyunjin's cheeks turned a bright shade of pink that was visible even through his makeup.

minho went on yelling: "why are you so dumb? i'm so fuckin' done with you–"

hyunjin started laughing. it was not a giggle or a chuckle. it outright went into a fit. 

minho, his previously styled hair sticking in different directions and his eyes wild, stared at him in disbelief. he could not remember when he was last this mad at someone. oh right, only hwang hyunjin could infuriate him beyond any human limits. he wanted to grab the chain hanging around hyunjin's long, elegant neck and choke him to death. he considered this option half seriously, but restrained himself. there were witnesses around.

"what the hell are you laughing at? my misery?" he snapped instead.

hyunjin bit his lip to stop laughing, but one look at minho's face was enough for him to burst into another fit of giggles. "hyung... why... why are you so stupid?"

speechless, minho could only blink. hyunjin was mercilessly adding insult to injury.

hyunjin smiled at minho. "i was joking!"

enraged, minho swatted him on the head with his palm. "joking?" he yelled. "i fuckin' confessed and you were joking?"

subconsciously, he really hoped the staff members were not filming because this here was a whole drama. the last thing minho wanted was to see himself and that little brat on the front page of dispatch.

his aggressiveness changed hyunjin's mood. he stood up abruptly and glared at minho. "i like you too! you're my type!" he screamed back. "is this what you wanted to hear?" 

astonished, minho grabbed the back of his chair because his legs suddenly gave up on him. this could not be real.

"is this what you wanted to hear?" hyunjin continued to scream, tears welling in his eyes. "i... i don't understand what you want! you could've just told me directly." he wiped the tears streaming down his pretty face. "instead you treated me coldly all the time, making me unsure about your feelings and now you're trying to make me confess indirectly in the most cruel way possible, in front of cameras and people, during an interview... you think i'm stupid,  but i'm not that stupid! i know you told the staff to add this question. i wonder who came up with this idiotic plan–"

jisung gave hyunjin an offended look.

as he stared at the sobbing hyunjin in front of him, minho realized that he, lee minho, was the biggest asshole to ever exist. he did not know what to say. he could not even look hyunjin in the eyes. he should not have listened to jisung, but again, minho being terrible at feelings was not jisung's fault. the joke was on minho.

"you're jealous when other members are affectionate to me, but you are rude to me most of the time." hyunjin was still yelling, although his voice was not as loud as a minute ago. he was getting exhausted and he could not choke down his sobs any longer. "now you're all hurt because of my joke, but what about all the hurtful things you've said to me? you don't even feel bad for yelling at me just now. what have i ever done to you except tease you in a friendly way?"

hyunjin paused to take a deep breath and wiped his tears away. he calmed down. his voice was cold when he said to minho: "you don't act like you love me, so leave me alone, please."

he turned to the staff and bowed. "i'm sorry for the interruption . i need five minutes." 

he started walking away from the filming spot, trying to maintain the facade of normalcy, but eventually gave up and ran out of the room, slamming the door after himself.

"well," minho could hear seungmin say, "this was a disappointing but expected development of the situation."

the rest of the members just sat there in silence. the staff were whispering to each other.

minho cursed and ran after hyunjin.