Chapter 15

"Okay mum, love you." 

I end the call and walk into the cafe, I spot Max and walk up to him, we hug and I place a kiss on his cheek before sitting down. 

I still cry every night and I still have my bouts where I can't function, but I think I'm doing better, I've been here a week now, I've stayed inside all that while but I'm out now, during that time I got tested, I'm all clean, and no impending baby either, thank fuck for that, I mean I wouldn't know how to go about that if I was pregnant, I think I'd be much worse than I am now. 

Good news, right? Yeah, but there's somewhat bad news too, mum gives me updates about what's going on, and it's all good kind of, she refuses to talk to Matthew, who is blowing up my phone, and the rest assume that I ran away for some other reason. 

Here's what my text history now looks like. 

Liv: Answer my goddamn text before I travel the entire earth to find you!

Damon: Mama please, I miss you, come home. 

Matthew: Darlin' tell me what I did, you can't just disappear on me, I'm your fucking fiance!

Ames: Okay, I love you too firecracker, text me when you're done with lunch, and tell me how it goes. 

I'm talking with James, but no one remembers him, at least I hope they don't, on the other hand, I'm enjoying Castlewellan, although this is my first time out of Max's house. It's a beautiful state, quaint but beautiful.  

"I'm glad you finally came out." I smile at him, taking my seat across from him, "Shut up, did you order?" He nods, taking my hand in his, "Yeah, they'll call the order number in a minute." I nod adjusting myself in my seat, "I want to start looking for a job, I've been here a while and I'd like to pitch in." He stares at me a while then sighs, "Again, you don't have to but since you want to, what are your job qualifications?" 

"I have a degree in business and finance, I'm a manager at my mum's firm, and I'm a producer protege." He squints, "So no real-life experience?" I shake my head, "Okay, the best I can get you is a job at the pub around the corner." I smile, "Yeah that'll be just fine." 

My phone blares as the barista calls out his name, "Hello?" 

"Jackie, Damon is about to storm into the house, what do you want me to say." 

I sigh, "Tell him I'm taking a break, I'll be back soon, and that I love and miss him too." 

"Okay, bye." 

Max sets a cup in front of me, "Medium iced chai latte." I smile taking a sip, the coldness of the drink settles into my throat with a slight sting because of the low temperature outside, "Delightful, when can we go to the pub?" He twists his coffee cup, "What did you need to talk about this morning." 

I sip my drink, "Well, a friend wants to come to visit me, and I don't want to impose him on you so I'm asking permission, 'cause he'd stay with us and he'd be around for a week." 

He looks at me his face stretching in a slow smile, "Do I need to disappear for a while?" I gape at him, eyes darting around, ensuring no one heard his assumption, I yell at him in a hushed whisper, "Maxwell! I just broke off an engagement, I'm not jumping into bed with another guy, at least not so soon." He laughs standing up, he stretches out a hand to me and I take it. 

Guiding us outside he starts the journey to the pub, "I was just teasing, I know you won't, he's welcome anytime, do I know him?" I shake my head clutching my cup, "No, I doubt the others remember him either, and thank you really, I owe you like a huge one for all this." He waves me off as we enter the pub, "It's nothing, besides I enjoy your company, no matter how depressed you are." I laugh giving his hand a grateful squeeze.