Chapter 137

Kody's POV
I had around half an hour before Lumine was going to come over for the first time. Even though this morning I tried to tell him not to, he agreed to come when my dad invited him for dinner. Now I had to rush and clean while my dad made dinner because I wasn't sure if Lumine was going to stay longer. I shoved all of my laundry into the hamper and put it in the closet and locked the door. Most of the house was actually pretty clean except for my room because no one was going to see it except for me. It wasn't even dirty, just untidy. I made my bed and put all of the papers scattered on my desk into a box.

    The doorbell rang, and I nervously went downstairs to answer it. Even though I didn't want my dad to meet Lumine, I wasn't as mad about it as I thought I would be. When I opened the door, Lumine squinted at the sudden bright light and then smiled at me. I relaxed a bit, seeing how at ease he was. My dad probably couldn't embarrass me more than Calla or anyone else did, anyway. At least my neighbors Sherry and Silver weren't here, because they both knew me since I was a baby and would definitely tell Lumine every embarrassing story they could think of. I really wanted Lumine to stay friends with me, and I didn't want him to know that I ate crayons as a toddler.

My dad wasn't done cooking yet so we went to the living room and waited. I didn't know if I was supposed to turn on the TV or something, but luckily Lumine sat down and started talking to me. "It's my first official time hanging out at your house, isn't it? This is fun." He said.

"I think it only seems fun because it's different," I said.

"Maybe," He said. "But still fun. Wait, is that you in that picture?"

I looked behind me and saw a picture of me when I was seven or eight, holding a tiny black cat. "Yeah, it is. It was seven years ago."

"Aw! That's so cute! Is that your cat?" He asked.

"Yeah, I think that was the day we found him in the woods," I said.

Lumine started to look around the room and I assumed that he was looking for the cat, so I said, "I think that he's in my room, not here. He usually hides when we have guests over."

    "Can I see him?" Lumine asked me.

    "I guess we have a little bit of time," I said. I was happy that I cleaned today after all.

    Lumine looked happy and followed me to my room. I got a little bit nervous before I opened the door because Lumine was going to see my room. It was really boring compared to his because I didn't have any decorations or posters or anything. We went inside everything and my cat, Billy was laying down of the edge of my bed using his paw to clean his head.

    "Aww! He's so cute!" Lumine exclaimed. He carefully held out his hand to the cat. Billy sniffed his hand and then ignored him and went back to cleaning. "Oh... Does that mean he doesn't like me?" Lumine asked.

    "No, that means that he does like you. If he didn't like you he would have hit your hand away." I said.

    "Really?" Lumine thought for a second and then smiled. "I think I know what people are talking about when they say that cats are similar to their owners."

    I frowned, trying to think of how me and my cat were similar from that little interaction. I decided to talk about something else. "He's seven now, so he's not as playful as he used to be. When he met Elijah for the first time, he tried to climb up his pant legs to get a piece of chicken in his sandwich," I said.

    Lumine laughed, and I thought that the room got a little bit brighter. "I'm jealous that Elijah's known you for so long. Do you think we would have been friends when we were younger?" He asked.

    I thought for a moment. It was even unlikely now that they were friends, so even if they didn't seem compatable, "Yeah, I think we would have been friends," I answered.

    Lumine stared at me for a few seconds, then said, "Kody, promise me we won't stop being friends after I move away?"

    I was surprised, I didn't expect him to say that. I didn't make promises often, because I was bad at keeping them. But when he stared at me so earnestly, I knew I couldn't say no. "I promise," I said.

    Lumine looked relieved, and I felt awkard and looked out of the window. It was dark now. Most of the stars were drowned out by the lights of the city, but it was comforting knowing that they were still there.

    My dad called us for dinner, and we went downstairs. I just hoped that he would at least pretend to be normal in front of the only person who still liked me. He smiled at the two of his with an oddly smug expression as he finished setting the table. I felt a little bit of dread but hopefully it would be fine.

    "Hello Lumine, I'm glad you were able to come," He said cheerfully.

    "It's nice to meet you, Mr..?" Lumine questioned.

    "Haha! You can just call me Aiden," My dad said.

    Lumine sat down next to me looking a little nervous. My dad sat across from us and started talking again. "So Lumine, I heard you were from Terranevo. What made you come all the way here?"

    Lumine nodded and said, "Yeah. My dad had to move here for work so I came with him."

    "Do you like it here so far?" He asked.

    Lumine smiled honestly and said, "Yes, I do. Especially since I've met so many new people since coming here."

    My dad nodded, stopped for a moment and then asked a barrage of questions. "So, you moved into that house across the street, right? Do you like it there? Kody visits you often, do you two stay inside or go out? Actually, when did you both become friends, because Kody never seemed to like any other kids his age even when he was little."

    Lumine stopped for a moment to try and remember everything that Aiden said. "Yes, I live across the street and we usually hang out there. We became friends at the beginning of the school year, right after I moved here," Lumine said.

I hoped that this was where the questions would stop, but they didn't. My dad asked, "Oh, really?  You know, when Kody was younger he only had a few friends growing up. I'm surprised you could get along with him so quickly. What's your secret?"

Lumine looked at him with confusion and said, "I don't know. Elijah says that too, but I think that Kody is really friendly to me so I don't get it."

Aiden looked surprised and then smiled at me and said, "Wow, really? Well, I'm very happy that Kody is opening up more. You seem like a good kid, I'm sure that you'll be a great influence on him. You know, he talks about you sometimes and it's always positive! You must be a really good friend."

I buried my face in my hands and Lumine looked excited. "He does?" He asked.

My dad saw how embarrassed I was and decided to exaggerate the truth. "Yes, of course! He said that you're very kind, and have a unique taste in books. He also said that he wants to learn how to be nicer to you so that you like him more."

"Dad! You know that's not what I said!" I shouted.

My dad laughed but Lumine looked at me with a bright expression. "Really? Do you really think that?"

"I..."