Chapter 43

"I don't know what to do!"

Kody watched quietly as Lumine complained about his situation to his friends.

He'd been dragged along to the cafeteria against his will, and was now stuck eating lunch with Calla and Elijah. He'd hoped to simply continue eating lunch with Lumine in the Library, but Lumine had started heading towards the lunchroom before he'd had a chance to object.

Luckily, he'd sat a few seats away from where they were sitting, with Lumine in between them.

"I bet I'm the only one in the whole school who hasn't done the homework..." Lumine whined.

"I haven't." Kody quietly replied.

"You haven't? Did you not know about it also?" Lumine asked.

"No, I just didn't think it would affect our grades so much."

Calla spoke up. "You guys can copy mine if you want, I don't really care."

"No."

Calla shrugged and went back to eating. Lumine looked between the two of them, with a mixture of confusion and curiosity. Kody watched Lumine decide not to ask about it.

Kody didn't mean to cause a scene with how much he obviously disliked Calla, but he wasn't going to pretend to put up with her either.

The bell rang, and they all got up from their seats. Kody walked quickly to his next class, with Lumine not far behind him.

He turned a few corners, and arrived at the correct place. He sat in the farthest corner of the room. Like usual, Lumine promptly sat down next to him. They still had a couple of minutes before class started, and the room was very nearly empty.

"So, if neither of us have started the project, how are we gonna get it in on time? It's due on monday... If we don't turn it in, we'll fail!"

Kody nodded. "Yeah. It's friday though, let's work on it over the weekend. A night and two days should be enough, right? If not, some credit will be better than none, I guess."

"That could work! I hope..."

It would be a lot of work, but it seemed doable for the most part. It would ruin any and all chances of a nice weekend, but hey, it would hopefully be worth it.

If this were any other time, he would have asked for an extension (which, if the teacher knew him, would be immediately denied), or simply given up and failed the first semester.

This situation was different though. Lumine was clearly concerned about failing, and had been very vocal at lunch about how he wouldn't be able to complete the assignments by himself. Even if he didn't particularly care about his own grades, he didn't want to let Lumine struggle by himself.

As well, he knew he couldn't be as careless with his grades in high school as he had been previously.

Though he hated to admit it, it was also an excuse to spend time with Lumine. They'd only known each other for about a week, and though he liked to act apathetic towards their friendship, he did want to get to know Lumine a bit better.

He would never say it out loud, though.