Chapter Fourteen

"I'm so sorry I'm late!"

Kody looked up from his screen. Lumine set down his backpack on the floor and sat on the chair next to him, looking slightly out of breath.

"It's five-thirty." Kody said, shutting his laptop.

"I know... I uh, fell asleep." Lumine admitted, blushing slightly.

Kody rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Do you have a plan for what we're supposed to be doing?"

Lumine looked at him blankly.

Kody sighed. "Guess that's a 'no'. Whatever, I guess we can figure it out."

Lumine smiled, and nodded in agreement. "Mhm! What should we do first?"

"Well, you kinda gave us more work to do when you made us do a poster..."

Lumine opened his mouth, then stopped. "Yeah... sorry. I didn't really know what to say."

Kody and Lumine sat quietly for a bit. Kody hated how awkward it was, but neither one of them had any idea what to do.

"Uh, what if we sort of like, plan out what to do on a sheet of paper? Like, what we're gonna include on the poster and stuff." Lumine asked, looking at Kody.

Kody slowly nodded. "Yeah, that'll work. Do you have any paper?"

Lumine smiled and nodded. He bent down and grabbed a notebook from his backpack. He tore a sheet of paper from the end of it. "We can just use this, right?"

"Yeah, sure."

Together, they mapped out their project and decided what would be included, and where. To Kody's surprise, it was a lot less frustrating than he expected it to be. He and Lumine seemed to agree most of the time, and Lumine seemed to go along with whatever he suggested.

Within about two hours, they'd managed to create a somewhat legible plan, and decided what each of them was going to research for the project. Kody leaned his head against his hand, and looked over the paper once again.

"Alright, I think we're done, at least for today."

Lumine nodded sleepily. "Yeah... it's already dark out."

"How are you tired at eight?" Kody asked, packing his belongings back into his bag.

Lumine shrugged, yawning. He stood up and started placing his things back into his bag. Kody threw his bag over his shoulder and started walking to the door. Behind him, he heard Lumine rushing to follow him. 

As they made their way through the empty hallways, they realized that everyone in the school had gone, including most of the faculty. The moonlit building almost seemed to have an eerie quality to it. Lumine seemed to feel uneasy as well, walking closer to Kody while looking behind them almost constantly.

Finally, they'd made it to the main entrance. Kody swung open the door and a blast of warm, summer air hit them. The blazing heat had died down, and now the weather was much more pleasant.

"Bye!" Lumine said. Kody nodded and waved, preparing to go their separate ways for the night.