Chapter 43: Lanterns in the sky

Violet POV

I walked down the stone ground, inching towards the festival and...human interaction...by the second. "You alright?" Tauriel asked me for about the third time. I nodded, I was sort of only looking for Thorin...I could guarantee him, he would be clung to. As we walked towards the stairwell down to the great hall I began hearing small gasps and whispers from the dwarfish women who looked at me. "Is that the woman the king intends to marry?" One hissed. "She doesn't even have a beard! Ugly little brat..." Another spat. "She's covered in bandages and scars! Why on earth would she think our King would marry someone like her?" Another said in a snarky tone. "Ugh, the king should be marrying and bedding a full dwarfish woman...not a disgusting abomination." I heard them say. I felt my heart ache and my eyes water. Tauriel didn't seem to pleased ether. "M-maybe I should go back to the ro-" "Violet!" I heart Thorin's voice. I froze and quickly wiped my eyes. He was dressed in fine robes and furs...he looked like a true king. "H-hello..." I said tucking some hair behind my ear. His smile faded to a look of worry, "does something trouble you my love?" He asked cupping my cheek with his strong warm hand. I smiled slightly and leaned my cheek into his palm, feeling instantly comforted. I stepped forward and hugged him tightly, snuggling my face against the soft furs. He chuckled and hugged me back before pulling me back to look at me. "You look absolutely lovely" he said with a grin. I blushed and smiled looking down. "You never answered my question." He said. I frowned, "yeah, I'm okay." I said with a false smile, hoping he'd buy it...and to my fortune...he did! "Well! Then we have somewhere to be." He said with a grin offering his arm. I linked mine with his and allowed him to lead me where he pleased. As I was lead closer to the main hall, more and more people began appearing. Very few elves, and many many dwarves. "So this festival...it's just to celebrate reclaiming Erebor?" I asked looking up at Thorin, who nodded in reply.

Thorin POV

I nodded in response to Violets question, she sounded undoubtedly nervous. Though she looked absolutely stunning I could tell she was lacking in conference. I felt as though I knew why. As I had been walking to find her, I had heard some of the dwarfish women speaking harshly of her, insulting her for her lack of beard, and her scars. Little do they know I would not be alive if she where not there to save me, risking her own life for their king. "Are you sure your alright?" I asked once more. She looked up at me and nodded her head, though her eyes said "no". I kept a soft smile to hide my suspicious frown. "Alright...if you are bothered by anything, please tell me." I said never breaking eye contact. "A-alright..." She said quietly. I saw her hand ball into a fist, holding onto her dress...which over the journey, I've learned is another one of her nervous ticks, like when she bit the sleeves of her sweaters. I decided to say nothing of it and leave her be...for now. "Thorin! Violet!" I heard my nephews voice call. I looked behind me and saw Kili, as well as Fili, both dressed in Royal attire, with their mother behind them. "Wow Violet...you look lovely!" Fili complimented. I looked at Violet who slightly blushed and smiled, "thank you very much." She said nodding her head. "Well, I don't see much of a reason for standing around any longer! There's ale down there I wish to take part in!" We all heard Dain said coming to us from down the hall.

Violet PoV

I watched a smile spread on Thorin's face as he saw Dain. I moved out of the way while he went to hug him. "I agree fully." Thorin said. Suddenly a hand was placed on my back. "Are you alright? You seem a little tense." I looking over my shoulder and saw Kili. "Yeah...I'm alright." I said with a small smile. I walked beside Kili as we all made our way down into the Great hall where everyone was gathered drinking, singing, and having a wonderful time. "Wow...quite the party." I said quietly with a small smile. "Well what did you expect?! Erebor has been reclaimed! This festival will last for days as in my guess!" Kili said. "Oh wow..." I said looking back into the large crowd, though I knew I was safe I couldn't help but feel slightly threatened.

*time skip*

I ducked and dodged around people dancing and getting drunker by the hour. I frowned looking through the many dwarves surrounding me hoping to find Thorin...who I had lost about an hour ago when they all burst into song and dance.

"Violet, wanna go get some Ale?" Tauriel asked as she made her way to my side. "Anything to get out of this crowd." I said as we linked hands and shoved our way through the partying dwarves. "This is just ridiculous." Tauriel snarled. "Agreed...it was really fun with Thorin...but now that I lost him I don't know anyone." I said as we walked down the stairs to the cellar. "Yeah, I could agree. I lost Kili pretty fast...even though I'm taller than almost three fourths of the people here...they all sort of look the same." She said looking down at me. I snickered as I reached and grabbed us mugs. We quickly filled the mugs and made our way back up. "I don't really feel like going back into the crowed....mind if I stay back?" I asked taking a sip. "Oh I don't mind, I'll come back and check on you. In the mean time...I'm going to try and find Kili." She said as she went back in. I leaned my back against one of the pillars and watched. I watched them all dance and sing before sighing and nudging myself away from the wall and making my way away from the main hall, off into the halls of Erebor.

Thorin PoV

I frowned as made my way through the party, looking for a specific girl. "Dwalin!" I said as I saw the tattooed dwarf ahead. "Aye?" He asked turning. "Have ye seen Violet? I can't find her anywhere." I said. "I saw her a few minutes ago," Bofur said coming from behind me. "What?" I asked. "Aye, she was leaning against the wall looking pretty bummed out." He said. I frowned at the news of her downed happiness. "Where did she go?" I asked. "The lass went off into the west wing. Towards the balcony." Balin said. I nodded to my close friend before running off in the direction he led me.

I quick walked down the hall towards the balcony when I stopped, hearing angelic singing around the corner. I stopped and peaked around the corner to see Violet leaning over the edge, singing softly to herself. "I didn't know you sang." I said with a small grin as I saw her jump slightly. "Oh! T-Thorin...oh...uh...no, not really." She said tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "Well what what I heard Id say you do. What's the matter?" I asked. She smiled softly at my comment before shaking her head, "I supposed I'm just not all that used to this...crowded party thing." She said. "I think I may just head off to bed..." She said beginning to walk past me. I panicked and grabbed her arm. "Wait! If you go to bed now you'll miss the best part!" I said. She looked at me oddly. " what's that?" she asked. I noticed her squirming uncomfortably in her clothes. "Here, come on. Let's change clothes and then we will head out." I said. "Uh..o-okay." She said.

After quickly getting back to my bed chambers I gave Violet different, more comfortable, clothes. "So, where are we going?" She asked as she pulled on a black leather fur lined jacket on. "Don't you worry. You'll like it." I said as I pulled on my fur coat I wore throughout the journey, along with all the clothes I wore during the beginning of our journey . "I love that coat." I heard Violet said. "This?" I asked. "Yeah...I'm going to be honest...I like you better dressed like that than in all that...King stuff." She said. I smiled slightly. "I must admit it's not as hot." I said. She giggled before taking the hand I held out for her.

I walked with an arm wrapped around Violets shoulders, the other hand on my sword. We walked through the cold night air and down to the shore of the lake. "Why are we o-out h-here?" She shivered. "Here," I said as I sat her down on a smooth rock, sitting on the ground beside her. She wrapped over arm around my shoulder and looked down at me. "Just wait..." I said quietly. I could hear her small irritated huff. "Thorin, it's dark and cold." She said. "I know ju-" I cut myself off as I began to see a warm like glowing brighter from behind us. "What is th-" I stopped Violet as she tried to turn around to look. "No! Just wait." I said. "Fine bu-..." She cut herself off as over out heads, bright glowing lanterns began to float by. "O-oh my god..." Violet said as she stood up. "Their so beautiful!" She whispered awestruck. I stood up wrapping an arm around her delicate waist. Holding her close. "I told you." I said with a grin. Suddenly I was pulled down and felt her soft lips press against my cheek. I grinned as she let me go and hugged me around the waist, resting her head against my shoulder as she watched the lanterns. Float over the lake. "You where right..." She said. I smiled and kissing the top of her soft hair before looking out over the lake as well, my heart warmed by a sight that was so common to my childhood. I now understood why my father always wished to watch the lanterns with my mother...always held her close. My mother told me the lanterns symbolized the strong and ever glowing love between two people. My eyes glanced down at Violet, her sight still set on the lanterns. 'They where right...' I thought as I wrapped my arms around her, hugging her warmly and close to my heart.