Chapter 52

BILLIE'S POV

"Not sure, Claudia." I bit into a cookie, watching her pull more out of the oven. "Hey, by the way, can you please tell your bratty boyfriend to stop stealing my girlfriend?"

Claudia rolled her eyes. "Can you tell your bozo brother to stop stealing my best friend?"

"Don't put this on me." I tried to take another cookie but my hand was swatted away.

"They're hot, Billie." She shook her head at me. "Have you talked to Elliot? Know when they'll be home?"

"Should be soon, I'm not sure though." I slid off of the counter, following her to the laundry room. "I have a question?"

"Shoot." She swapped her clothes from the washer to the dryer.

"When you started dating Finneas and it was like—you know, a thing where everybody knows now. Was it hard? Do you ever regret it?"

She stopped, turning to look at me as she pushed her hair out of her face. "It was weird having so much attention on me suddenly. There were a lot of hate comments and stuff, but you know me. Now that it's been a while and everybody is used to it now, it's great. We don't have to worry about who sees us together, or what we can and can't post, or anything like that."

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Asking because of Elliot?"

"Well, duh." I laughed, readjusting the clip in my hair. "I'm serious about her. I don't see her leaving any time soon, but it's hard to hide it—especially when I always want her by my side. I know I should give it a little while for now, but eventually it's gonna have to come out."

"No, you're right. It'll be a little rough at first but I wouldn't worry about it too much, 'kay?" She set her hand on my head as she walked past me. "You're used to having the spotlight. Elliot isn't. You're used to dealing with hate and being able to ignore it now. She isn't. The most important thing, when that time comes, it to trust each other, and remind her that what they think doesn't matter. It's better to just not let her even read any of it because it's meaningless."

"Right."

"I'm trying to think of something to get Elliot for Christmas. Any ideas?"

"Nada." Claudia laughed. "She won't mention things she wants around me, because she thinks I'll tell you and then you'll get it. You know she hates people buying her stuff."

"Why must she be so complicated?" I sighed dramatically, throwing myself onto the couch.

"You could ask Fin, but you better put your thinking cap on because Christmas is coming up soon."

"I will. They should be home soon, right?"

Claudia hummed in response, leaving me on the couch to go back to the kitchen. As if summoned, the two idiots came in loudly, bickering over whether sea monsters were real.

"Do you know how much of the ocean is unexplored, Finneas! They're down there. Just waiting!" Elliot huffed in annoyance as she took her coat off.

"We would have seen them by now! It's not possible." He brushed her off as he followed suit, taking his own coat off.

"More than eighty percent of the ocean is yet to be explored. You can't tell me there's nothing down there."

"Well, you know what, why don't you go down there and explore and then come back and let me know what you find."

"Maybe I will." She crossed her arms, turning her back to him as he went to greet his girlfriend. "William!"

"Smelliot!" I called back, opening my arms for a hug. She pulled my arms so that I was in a sitting position and kissed me.

"Hi." She smiled, setting her forehead against mine.

"Hi." I giggled, kissing her one more time. "How was your day?"

"It was fine. You?"

She shrugged. "Same old."

"So, I've been wondering... but nervous to ask." I pulled my eyes away from here, looking at the floor as I spoke. "After the holidays, when I go back on tour, are you coming back." Tears pricked at my eyes and I lump formed in my throat as I took her hands in my own, setting my forehead on her shoulder. "I don't think I can do it without you."

"Baby," she replied warmly, setting her hands on my cheeks and forcing me to look at her. "I'm coming. Don't worry."

I let out a sigh of relief. "Good. Okay, that's good. I need to go talk to Finneas really quick. I love you."

"I love you too." She kissed my knuckles before pushing me away and pulling her phone out.

"Finneas!" I joined him and Claudia in the kitchen, lowering my voice. "Any idea what Elliot might want for Christmas?"

"Hmm. I have an idea or two, but what'll I get in exchange." I smacked his hand as he began to raise it to his chin thoughtfully. "Ouch! Okay. I'm not too sure, but getting her her own guitar might be a good idea. She's getting good. She deserves her own. She's even capable of playing your whole set list almost as flawlessly as I. Almost."

"Really?" I asked skeptically.

"Really."

"Is that enough though? Should I get her something more." I glanced towards Claudia this time, looking for an answer.

He rolled his eyes, throwing his head back exasperatedly. "That alone is too much for her guilty conscience to handle. It's enough, Billie."

"You're right. Well, will you go shopping with me tomorrow? Your expertise is required." I wiggled my eyebrows, trying to boost his ego so that he feels the need to join me.

"Well, how can I say no? You'll be running around like a lost puppy withou—ow! Claudia, tell her not to hit me!"

"It's good for you once in a while, babe. That's why I invite her over here. That's why you're my favorite." She threw an arm over my shoulders.

"What about me?" Elliot called from the living room.

"Shut it, Smelly!" I shouted back.