5 - Home

It had taken the skin around her wrists and the strength in her arms, but Rosa had finally moved her hands around enough to free herself from the ropes.

She rubbed her wrists, cringing with pain at the raw red marks, stinging at the air. She raised her hand to it before breathing deeply and allowing her heart to calm, power surging forward as she healed the makes.

After untying her legs, she stood up and shakily made her way to the door. It was locked.

Leaning her head back with an exasperated sigh, wanting nothing more than to be in the comfort of her bed.

The tears threatened to fall again but she was sick of crying - instead she opened her eyes with determination and saw her ticket to freedom.

Bingo.

There was a medium sized hole in the wall behind where she had been tied up. It was dark on the other side, and it would be a very tight squeeze, but she was sure she could do it. Rosa had no way of knowing what would be on the other side, but it had to be better than waiting for her kidnapper.

She made her way under it, head first, seeing a small and nearly pitch black room. When she got to her shoulders, she had to move her body in a comprising position, the pressure of a jagged stone breaking into her upper arm and breaking skin. A pained yelp left her as blood trickled down.

Taking a deep breath, she was able to make her through and found herself standing on what felt like dirt. The only light in the room was that of a slither of moonlight from a window.

Rosa almost felt herself smile... before she realised how high the window was. It wasn't unreasonable, but it would take a lot of effort and she had to get out before her kidnapper came back.

Moving forward, she felt the wall under the window, pleased to find there were uneven stones she could climb on.

But the door in the other room opened, iron slamming against stone as her kidnapper's boots made their way inside. There was silence for a while, before she heard a loud "fuck" and more, this time urgent, footsteps.

A sigh of relief left her when the door slammed shut again, but then it quickly turned to confusion; was there not only one place she could go? How had he not immediately gone after her?

"They don't come here."

The sudden voice made Rosa yelp, jumping back in surprise. Her eyes had somewhat adjusted to the darkness, enough to see the huddled figure of a person in the corner.

"They're afraid of me," the voice explained, soft and feminine, but hoarse as if they hadn't drunk water in a while.

Rosabelle stilled, body refusing to move; this person was dangerous. Perhaps Rosa should've taken her chances with her kidnapper.

"I won't hurt you, Rosabelle."

"How... how do you know my name?" She asked, voice barely more than a whisper, arms crossing in front of her as if guarding herself.

The voice gave a bitter chuckle before speaking. "I was there when the king chose it."

King. The word was laced with such venom and disdain that it made Rosa shudder, her blood sensing the hatred.

"What do you mean?" Rosa asked, body inching forward despite itself, almost feeling a type of calmness around this person.

"I was there when you were born."