4 - Longing

"...100."
I sighed in relief, glad to be finished my counting. I thought counting to a hundred was overkill, but whatever my petal wanted she got.

"Here I come, ready or not," I yelled, hopefully loud enough for her to hear wherever she was.

I had been in the middle of some important documents - a representative was coming over from a neighbouring country to discuss trades - but Rosabelle had interrupted me, begging to play. Of course, I could deny her nothing.

I went into my bedroom, seeing that the door had cracked open. No one, not even the maids, were permitted to enter my bedroom.

A woman had once waited for me in there, no doubt hoping to produce an heir for my kingdom and gain wealth. She wound up with her lungs ripped from her chest and fed to the rats.

The only person welcomed into my room was Rosabelle and it would be just like her to hide in there.

"Hmm... where could my precious treasure possibly be?"

I heard giggling under the bed, but I amused her for a few more moments - looking in the cupboard and under the desk and such.

"Ah hah!" I exclaimed as I leaned over to see under the bed. Rosa squealed in excitement, that beautiful smile going onto her face before she crawled out and jumped onto the bed.

I stroked the top of her head with fondness, making my way down to twirl the white strands around my finger.

"Let's play again!" She suggested, the adorable excitement in her voice nearly ending me right there.

I had always hated children, despised the way they leeched onto people and were too weak to look after themselves. I hated their cries and smiles equally. Even killing them were too much effort, although it did solidify to my enemies that I had no qualms with killing anything.

That was until my beautiful rose came into my life. I was enchanted with her, at first, completely amazed that she existed. But then I realised she was a baby.

It would be years before she understood how important she was to me, or before I could see her smile gratefully when I spoiled her with whatever this world could offer.

Furthermore, all she did was cry. She cried so much, I began to regret my decision. I should've waited till I could at least have a conversation with her, and have half a mind to send her away.

But then I held her and I was the only one to cease her crying. I would hold her in my arms and she would calm, as if I was as important to her as she was to me.

It didn't take her long to have me wrapped around her finger after that.

"I wish I could, little one, but I have a lot of work to do," I said regretfully. There truly were times where I imagined abandoning my kingdom and instead living a life where it just Rosabelle and I.

But then I wouldn't be able to spoil her rotten.

"Can I stay with you then?"

"Do you promise to behave?"

She nodded, but a small smile fell on my lips when I picked her up, knowing full well she wouldn't stop talking the entire time.

In seven years, Rosa had become my everything. If I had to give up my kingdom or her, I knew the answer.

I could build a new kingdom from the ground in fifty years, but I waited centuries for her. And she was perfect.

There was just one thing I feared when it came to her, and it looked me right in the eyes as she sat on my lap in my study.