Bread and rum

Camden Town

'Ollie,' Tommy said a smirk on his face when he got to the bakery.

'Mr. Shelby...' ollie avoided his eye as he led tommy to the new bakers.

'Ollie, can I have a word?'

'This way mr. Shelby.' Ollies jaw clenched when he saw his sister laughing at the back wall alfies arms wrapped around her. she shouldn't be here. Not if tommy was here. Not if tommy was the man that sent the telegram....

'Alfie, I should take Livy home. She shouldn't-' ollie began.

'Nonsense. Shes gonna be working my books soon, she should know whats going on.'

'what?' ollie questioned looking at his sister disbelieving. Working at the club, singing at the club was worry enough but working here...

'She caught an error the other night in some numbers. She saved me a lot of money and time scratching me head.' Alfie informed him. Ollie knew livy was smart, he had helped teach her, he wanted her to have all the possibilities, to be anyone she wanted, he wanted her to have all the resources and skills at her disposal but working for Alfie was not on his list of things Livy should want to accomplish.

'Livy-'

'Lets get started then... Tommy?' Alfie instructed, very comfortable in his spot with livy in his arms. Tommy stared at them a moment longer, stared at livy but she was transfixed by Alfie, not even noticing tommy, but ollie noticed.

'All right boys you've now been in rolled at Baker's in the aerated Bread Company of Camden town' Tommy said talking to the men picked to be new bakers. 'if anyone asks what you do. You are bakers. The coppers in Camden town are on our side but north and south you show them your papers you show them that piece of paper and you tell them you've come down from the north to find work, to break strikes. Tell them your fascists if you have to. We are finding lodgings for you but for now you'll be sleeping here in the bakery,' Tommy informed them 'don't touch any of the bread it'll most likely explode. Any questions?' Tommy asked and a man in the front row raised his hand 'yes?'

'Shouldn't that pretty lady be at home cooking dinner or better yet make us a sandwich for all our hard work?' the man grinned. Tommy turned back around to see Livy smiling happily oblivious to the comment made about her. but Alfie wasn't.

'excuse me love,' he kissed her cheek before walking up to the group. Ollie wrapped an arm around her as she watched. There was silence as Alfie approached.

Alfie punched the man, hard, he fell to the ground at alfies feet. livys eyes went wide.

'What was that for?' she whispered to ollie.

'This place isn't sunshine and rainbows,' ollie reminded her. 'its not safe, you shouldn't be working here.'

'He will wake up'. Alfie said getting up close and personal with the first man standing, the first baker. 'Granted he won't have any teeth but he'll be a wiser man for it. And the last thing he will remember is your funny little joke made about my girl...' Alfie looked around the room taking a step back 'right! There are fucking rules here. Yes there are fucking rules for a fucking reason!' he declared 'quite simple they have to all be followed... All right rule number one. The distinction between bread and Rum it's not discussed. Rule number two. Anything that your superior officer says to you whether they are male or female, yeah? Is not discussed!' Alfie spat. 'Rule number 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 I don't care for the rest of your fucking miserable lives yeah? Because I like you and also im a complete fucking sodomite jewish women, you don't go anywhere near them because Jewish women and you are off-limits. I think that's fair?' he said looking around the room 'all right that's it forgive me I interrupted...' Alfie said grinning back at Livy, she smiled back at him.

'I don't know, it seems pretty safe to me.' livy remarked.

'Pick him up' Tommy said and silence filled the room, no one moved. 'I said pick the fucker up!' Tommy demanded and men ran to him helping him up drag him away. 'Get them out here and make this fucking work 'Tommy said.